Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Catalina 25 Question

Author Catalina 25 Question
RChristian
Granbury, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/16/2006 7:03 AM Pacific Time

Question regarding Catatlina 25. I grew up with my father's C22. I want to purchase a used boat. I'm looking at C22 or C25. If I find a C25 with a fixed keel, can I bring it to my lake on a trailer behind my 1/2 ton pickup, or will I have to pay someone to deliver the boat to my lake? Thanks for your patience with this C25 question on a C22 forum.
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Almost Heaven III

Model/Year: 1989 Wing

Hull No. 14834

Hailing Port: Indian Lake, Ohio
09/16/2006 11:24 PM Pacific Time

RChristian,

I don't think you would have any problems. I pulled our 25 with a fixed keel from Cincinnati to Lake Michigan twice with a 302 V8 ford van.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/19/2006 8:15 PM Pacific Time

I had three C25's through the years, a wing keel, swing keel and fixed keel. My friend pulled his C25 wing keel with a Ford Explorer. He went through 5 transmissions. Sure you can pull it, but can you stop it? I saw him more than once skid through a red lighted intersection. If you get in an accident, even if it's not your fault, you most likely will be cited for exceeding your vehicle towing rate and may be subject to car insurance cancellation. My humble opinion is don't do it! Borrow a vehicle rated to handle the load, or hire someone who has a vehicle to move it for you if it's a one time move.
Kevin Murphy
Carmichael, CA

Boat Name: Booyah!

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No. #2526

Hailing Port: Carmichael, CA
09/20/2006 1:38 PM Pacific Time

Hey Lynn:

Just out of curiosity, which did you prefer to sai: the fixed, the swing or the wing?
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Boat Name: Teacher's Pet

Model/Year: 1988 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14571

Hailing Port: Queens, New York
09/20/2006 2:06 PM Pacific Time

I used to have a C25, a fixed keel. One of the reasons I "downsized" to a C22 was because of the towing issue. You're only giving up 3 feet of length but the weight of a C25 is more then 2000 lbs more than a C22. Even though I slip my boat, it's nice to know that I could take it to a lake nearby or even take a trip down south to warmer waters if I want.

If you intend on trailer-sailing, I would recommend the 22.
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Boat Name: Teacher's Pet

Model/Year: 1988 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14571

Hailing Port: Queens, New York
09/20/2006 2:08 PM Pacific Time

I just noticed that you're from Granbury, TX. One of my best friends is from there. I remember going back there almost 10 years ago and it was a lot of nothing, just a big power plant and a small state highway through the middle. Has it changed much over the years, or do the majority of the people there still work for the power plant?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

09/24/2006 11:15 AM Pacific Time

Kevin, we like to trailer sail so the wing was my favorite to sail. The shallow draft made it easier in the Delta and Bay for gunkholing, and it was easier to launch and retrieve. It was loaded and well cared for by the previous owner. I liked not having the keel trunk in the cabin (same for fixed keel) and the extra few inches of height in the cabin the wing keel had because I am 5' 8". The fixed keel was my least favorite, probably because it was a little harder to trailer due to the height on the trailer, harder to launch and retrieve. I tried to race all three but they were dogs in handicap racing, so we stuck to cruising them and racing our C22.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

09/24/2006 11:17 AM Pacific Time

If anyone is interested in purchasing a C25 fixed keel with galvanized double axle trailer let me know. The boat I sold to Mitch Booth in Lake of the Pines, CA five years ago is for sale.
stephen adams
hixson, tn.

Boat Name: SS IV

Model/Year: Cat. 25 1977

Hull No. tn-1297az

Hailing Port: privateer yatch club
06/13/2008 9:54 AM Pacific Time

I also have a 25--1978. Can anyone tell me how much space is between the cabin floor and the hull. I need to cut a hole to get rid of water. Thanks for any help.
ooJpiued
San Francisco

Boat Name: ooJpiued

Model/Year: 1967

Hull No. 1

Hailing Port: 80
08/03/2012 1:07 PM Pacific Time

Make sure your truck has an oil-cooler and transmission cooler. It is not an issue if your truck "can" pull it, it is a matter if your truck was designed to pull the load over a long period of time. The engine and transmission should be fine so long as both have the ability to radiate the heat caused by the additional load. If your truck does not have these as part of a Class IV tow hitch, then you might consider buying them. Any autostore can install them and they are not too expensive.
Good luck!
Lue
Kent Island, Maryland

Boat Name: Knotty Girl

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Kent Island, MD
08/03/2012 1:07 PM Pacific Time

Make sure your truck has an oil-cooler and transmission cooler. It is not an issue if your truck "can" pull it, it is a matter if your truck was designed to pull the load over a long period of time. The engine and transmission should be fine so long as both have the ability to radiate the heat caused by the additional load. If your truck does not have these as part of a Class IV tow hitch, then you might consider buying them. Any autostore can install them and they are not too expensive.
Good luck!

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Catalina 25 Question