Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / HELP - Need Height of a 22 on Trailer

Author HELP - Need Height of a 22 on Trailer
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/22/2006 6:29 PM Pacific Time

We have a new 22' Mark II on order and it it late. Next week the workers come to construct the metal storage cover for our new boat and we don't know how high it is sitting on the trailer.

It is a wing keel 2007 - the measurement formthe ground to the top of the cabin and maybe to the top of the mast when stored on the boat.

We really want to thanks anyone hwo can help us

Konnie
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
09/25/2006 6:35 PM Pacific Time

I can't give you the measurement but if I was you, I would contact Catalina with your question. My boat is swing keel. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/25/2006 7:26 PM Pacific Time

Art

I talked to Catalina customer service, engineering and sales ...no one knew the height

Konnie
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/26/2006 6:40 AM Pacific Time

Oh good grief,

Artur, I went out and measured the distance from the ground to the top of the mast laying on the bow pulpit on my C 22 swing keel. This is the highest point on the boat. That distance was right at 8 ft. The stern measurement was 7ft. My keel is about 12 inches deep retracted for trailering. If you subtract that 12 inches from your fin keel depth and add that to the 8 ft. height you will be pretty close on the height of the boat on the trailer. Keep in mind that all trailers are different. The height of my bunk boards above the ground is 2 ft.

I would feel comfortable but slightly squeezed with a 9 ft. door to put myboat in a shed or garage. Personally, I wouldn't want any less than 12 inches of clearance.

I hope that this helps.

Good luck!

Greg
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/26/2006 6:45 AM Pacific Time

Artur, One last thought. Please note that my C22 is a 1970 so the max height of the boat may be slightly different from the new ones. Surely Catalina can tell you the difference in the height of the new boats from the early ones.

If you can do it, I would ask for an 11 ft. door. That should give you plenty of room. The bigger the better I always say, but then I am a farmer and need lots of space.

Greg
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/27/2006 5:54 AM Pacific Time

If you are having a shed built for the boat, then have the door opening 10'. I have a 10w x 9ht door in my shop and I have had a swing keel in and out to paint it during the winter with rain etc to contend with. If you think the wing keel will be over 8' then make it higher. Note that some trailers have dropped axel, that is the axel is lower than a straight line between the wheels. This 3-4" makes a big difference. If you have not purchased a trailer yet it is a good thing to get, especially if it is a winged keel boat.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Ole RB
33.6583N 82.2185W

Boat Name: "Water Toy"

Model/Year: 1990 - WK

Hull No. 15110

Hailing Port: Lake Thurmond GA
09/28/2006 11:54 AM Pacific Time

I have a 90 Catalina 22 Wing Keel and on it's trailer the top of the mast (in trailering mode) is 8' 6" from the ground to the top edge of the mast.

One thing to note here is the fact that my Performance brand trailer has 10" tires. Therefore, you would need to compensate for a trailer with 13", 14" or 15" tires as appropriate. Most C22 trailers have at least the 14" or 15" tires.

Additionally, the trailer's bunk that the wing rests on is right at 13" from the ground.

Bottom line, your trailer will make a big difference in the ride height of the boat. Some of the suggestions already stated in this discussion are good ideas. However, you could always wait until the boat is delivered to measure and build with known dimensions.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / HELP - Need Height of a 22 on Trailer