Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / pop-top enclosure repair

Author pop-top enclosure repair
Tim Tucker
Morganton, NC

Boat Name: Leikela

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 7842

Hailing Port: Lake Norman NC
09/24/2006 12:56 PM Pacific Time

does anyone know how to repair a tear in a c-22 pop-top enclosure?
rachel tucker leilkela #7842
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
09/25/2006 4:56 AM Pacific Time

Take it to a sail loft or canvas shop. They have heavy duty sewing machines and also the thread used on sails. The thread is UV protected and stronger than any common household type used on clothes. But if you have a heavy duty sewing machine at home, you can do it yourself. I would buy some sail thread ... if it will fit on the machine, as it is a little thicker.

Good luck-- Bill
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/01/2006 1:34 PM Pacific Time

The thread comes on a cone and is called VC90 or VC69. www.sailrite.com sells the patch materiel, thread and larger needle you will need for the sewing machine. They have a 1-800 number and are free on the advise of what is best for fixing your problem. Because you are only sewing two thickness, you should be able to use a home sewing machine.
Rick
New Bern, NC

Boat Name: Wendy Sails

Model/Year: Cat 22. 1985

Hull No. 12798

Hailing Port: Blackbeard Sailing Club
06/21/2019 9:01 AM Pacific Time

The vinyl windows in my pop-top cover fell apart due to UV damage. I was wondering whether it would be more advantageous to to unstitch the windows and sew in new ones or just use the old cover as a template and make another pop-top cover. A friend at my club has a sailrite sewing machine and my wife is a fine seamstress. Any suggestions?
Rick
New Bern, NC

Boat Name: Wendy Sails

Model/Year: Cat 22. 1985

Hull No. 12798

Hailing Port: Blackbeard Sailing Club
06/21/2019 9:01 AM Pacific Time

The vinyl windows in my pop-top cover fell apart due to UV damage. I was wondering whether it would be more advantageous to to unstitch the windows and sew in new ones or just use the old cover as a template and make another pop-top cover. A friend at my club has a sailrite sewing machine and my wife is a fine seamstress. Any suggestions?

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / pop-top enclosure repair