Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / New Catalina 22 Engine Choice

Author New Catalina 22 Engine Choice
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/01/2006 8:03 AM Pacific Time

We are waiting for our new 22next month and would like to buy the engine now because of some great fall sales.

Questions:

What length engine shaft will we need for a 22 Mark II

We are on the Columbia river with strong current - what horsepower is recommended

Thanks

Rik & Konnie
Ole RB
33.6583N 82.2185W

Boat Name: "Water Toy"

Model/Year: 1990 - WK

Hull No. 15110

Hailing Port: Lake Thurmond GA
10/01/2006 1:17 PM Pacific Time

Rik, the manufacturer recommends a 5-7 HP outboard for the Mark II. They make no mention of the shaft length. I would recommend the long shaft. I have a Suzuki 6 on my '90 Wing Keel and it pushes the boat at hull speed with no problem. I've also used a Honda 5 HP long shaft on the same boat and it to will push the boat at hull speed.

However, I don't sail in waters with any noticeable current as I like to sail in lakes primarily.

What motor bracket will be installed on your boat? You should be sure the bracket will handle the weight of any motor you may select beyond the recommendations of the boat manufacturer.

By the way, did you arrive at the height requirements you were seeking in order to build the shelter for your new boat?

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / New Catalina 22 Engine Choice