Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Adding Remote Throttle & Shift In Cockpit

Author Adding Remote Throttle & Shift In Cockpit
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/04/2006 10:45 AM Pacific Time

We live in an area of strong currents and will be doing quite a bit of motoring. Has anyone mounted a shift/throttle set up like a power boat has in the cockpit.

Are there problems doing this - we had a large disel powered baot years back with the controls in the cockpit - sure was nice not having to lean over the railing to work an engine

Rik
don
eastsound wa

Boat Name: nibblet

Model/Year: 22 / 78

Hull No.

Hailing Port: eastsound wa
10/13/2006 9:31 PM Pacific Time

Rik I have done this on my boat, I used a single lever control and 11' morse red jacket 33 cables. I have had no problems. do not go cheep on the cables, use the red jackets they are heavy duty. i ran my cables though the deck vent scoop. you will look foward to docking your boat .
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
10/13/2006 11:23 PM Pacific Time

Don: Any photos of this on a website or do you have any that you could post.
Or,,,,,,email me off line. boatinbabe at comcast dot net.
no spaces, change at to & and dot to the .
Thanks.
Linda
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/14/2006 5:56 PM Pacific Time

Don,

I am also curious as to where you mounted your control. I have sat in my cockpit and think that just about anywhere you put them they would be in the way at some point. I would love to have cockpit controls but just can't seem to get my mind around where to put them.

Thanks!

Greg
don
eastsound wa

Hull No.

10/18/2006 8:59 PM Pacific Time

Ok now that i have created a swarm of intrest it looks like i need to get off my butt and get some photos done up. I used a morse MIR contol what is so great i can pull the shaft handle off and all i have sticking out is a small knob. I installed the control about 3/4 the way foward on the port side locker the cables enter the rear facing cowl vent and conect up to the back of the control. on the outside of the locker is a finshed wood block with 2 knobs 1 is for the shaft the other is a short shaft that you would pull out for reving the outboard for warm up. I found this control on ebay the company is wolfs marine out of mich. they claim that this conrtol is no longer made but they have a back stock of them hope this helps i will take photos on my next day off thanks don
don
eastsound wa

Hull No.

10/23/2006 7:33 PM Pacific Time

just uploaded photos of my control install. email me for a link at [email protected]
Bill Braun & Christine Sammel
Evanston, Illinois

Boat Name: Da Doo Run Run

Model/Year: 1989 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14840

Hailing Port: Wilmette, Illinois
03/23/2007 10:37 AM Pacific Time

Can't see that any activity has been posted in the "Engine" subject since last October, but we'll try anyway...

Anybody ever mount the remote throttle/shift in the cockpit, but aft, on the transom? For several reasons, that would be a good location for us.

Thanks.
Christine and Bill
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
03/29/2008 4:36 PM Pacific Time

I have had my boat for five seasons. I started out with a 4 hp Suzuki engine that I spent $560 overhauling because the previous owner never used it for years. During this time I have been plagued with water in the gas and have had several engine problems due to this problem. Last season, I purchased a brand new 10 hp. Mercury "Kicker" with electric start and power trim so that Nancy could operate the motor if i was incapacitated. Imagine my chagrin when at the end of the season 1/2 mile from the ramps when we were motoring in to take the boat out and take it home, the motor just up and quit. It would not restart. I took the motor to the dealer and ultimately they found water balls in the carburator. I thought with a 2 cylinder motor that it would just pass the water through.

My solution to this was to install a water separator in the fuel line to remove that pesky and potentially dangerous problem. I mounted the filter inside the port lazerette and ran the fuel lines through a waterproof boot that I use for the power leads for the motor. I hope that this solves the problem but I will let you know after this season. With ethanol being so prelavent in our gasoline supply that aggrevates the water absorbtion problem for small engines.

Does anyone else have these problems or is it just me?

Have a safe and fun season in "08

Greg
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
05/29/2009 8:46 PM Pacific Time

I just picked up a used Johnson remote control with cables for a 1983 9.9 OMB. Is there a kit or some known parts to connect the cables to the motor housing?
Ta,
zz
nick milliken
portsmouth,N.H.

Boat Name: Mast Confusion

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. ctyh4507j788

Hailing Port: portsmouth, N.H.
08/14/2009 3:54 PM Pacific Time

I am fortunate enough to have an edson steering pedistal and remote engine controls. I highly recommend it. Even as small as the 22 is the wheel is great. If you can swing it let a professional install. If you do it yourself take the time to reinforce 3 x what you think you sould.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
08/17/2009 9:20 AM Pacific Time

Nick, could you share some picture of your wheel setup? It would be very interesting to see this.

Peter
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
09/02/2009 3:09 PM Pacific Time

We mounted the Johnson remote throttle/shift control on the forward portion of the stern pulpet. We also connected the tiller to the OMB for steering. These two improvements have made motoring, docking, etc. much more comfortable.
ZZ
Chuck
The Woodlands, TX

Boat Name: Painkiller

Model/Year: Catalina 250WK/2008

Hull No. 957

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
02/28/2010 5:28 AM Pacific Time

Nick and Peter I would love to see pics. I just acquired a C250 w/ 9.8 Tohatsu. Docking is a pain and very uncomfortable. I want to mount a remote, but would love to see how others did it. Also what about steering? Do you mechanically link the engine to the rudder? Thanks!

email: [email protected]
Chuck
The Woodlands, TX

Boat Name: Painkiller

Model/Year: Catalina 250WK/2008

Hull No. 957

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
02/28/2010 5:30 AM Pacific Time

Nick, Peter, Bilgeboy or anyone else I would love to see pics. I just acquired a C250 w/ 9.8 Tohatsu. Docking is a pain and very uncomfortable. I want to mount a remote, but would love to see how others did it. Also what about steering? Do you mechanically link the engine to the rudder? Thanks!

email: [email protected]
Peter
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: Au Contraire

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1986

Hull No. 13325

Hailing Port: Stamford
03/01/2010 4:44 AM Pacific Time

I also would love to see how others have solved this problem. Please post a url of where the pictures are. It is a better solution than emailing us the images.
Thanks

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Adding Remote Throttle & Shift In Cockpit