Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / WHISKER POLE SIZE

Author WHISKER POLE SIZE
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/06/2006 4:50 AM Pacific Time

We have a new 22 on order with the 150 Genoa and want to buy a whisker pole while a local store has a sale.

They say to buy the length of the foot of the Genoa: any one know how wide the foot of this sail is

Rik & Konnie
[email protected]
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/06/2006 4:50 AM Pacific Time

That is a roller genoa
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
10/06/2006 10:27 AM Pacific Time

A 150 is 1.5 times the J dimension which is 8 feet, so your pole length is 12 feet. That's the max allowed by class rules if you ever decide to race. I'd suggest an adjustable or collapsable pole so you can use it as you roll up your genoa, too.
Jim Kasper
Kaukauna, WI

Boat Name: Casper

Model/Year: C-25/ 1983

Hull No. 3877

Hailing Port: Oconto, WI
05/10/2013 3:49 PM Pacific Time

I just purchased a 1983 C-25 from the original owner, standard rig, only a 110% Head sail (foot is 12' 5"). I want to start the season with a whisker pole that will allow me to wing and wing. I will then add a furling 150% (foot of 16' 6") that I also want to wing and wing. Next year I will add a spinnaker that needs a spinnaker pole.
Question: What pole size do I need to get that will accomodate all three set-ups?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/11/2013 10:10 PM Pacific Time

Whisker pole and spinnaker pole are two different poles. In short the answer to your question is the pole should not be longer than the foot of the sail it is being used on. The difference between the two poles is the Spinnaker pole has a middle attachment point to where the topping halyard is attached to raise it up or down horizontal to the deck, and normally a set length. Forespar makes a telescoping whisker pole that would work for you and also spinnaker poles. Collapsed the pole whisker pole starts off at 83 inches. CD the sponsor of this forum sells the Whisker Pole for a C25. I'm not sure if CD sells a spinnaker pole for the C25 but you can call them to get a price. Lots of rigging shops and chandleries have or can make a spinnaker pole to your specifications and you can search for the information on the website. If you plan to race the C25, their Natl. Association will have maximun lengths allowed for racing using either a whisker pole or spinnaker pole. Again you can find this information on their website. Having poles that meet National regulations will give your boat better resale and use flexibility.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / WHISKER POLE SIZE