Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast bolt eyes sheared off -repairable?

Author Mast bolt eyes sheared off -repairable?
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/07/2006 12:42 PM Pacific Time

We had a mishap which resulted in the mast bolt eyes in our mast to be sheared off. The rest of the mast is fine. Could I cut an inch off the bottom of the mast and drill new holes for the mast bolt? Or do I need to get a whole new mast?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
10/07/2006 7:33 PM Pacific Time

I'd bet you could cut off the damage and put a block under the mast step to make up the difference. You'll have to use a longer bolt for the step to account for the block, but it should all work and you won't have to adjust your rigging (much).

Hope that helps.

David
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/08/2006 11:39 AM Pacific Time

Bill, another option is to find a local machine shop that does aluminum welding and have them repair the mast and reinforce the bolt holes. This would eliminate the block problem and put you back where you were with a little more beef at the bottom.

Aluminum welding is a quasi-speciality that requires special equipment so not every shop could do it but I will bet that they can tell you where to get it done.

Good luck

Greg
Eric Sachau
Tulsa, OK

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/09/2006 7:37 AM Pacific Time

Bill:
I bought my c22 with the mast torn as you describe. My local welding shop repaired the bolt holes for $25. No further problems. Best of luck. Eric
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/11/2006 9:39 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the great advice. I have read that aluminum welds may be weaker that the parent material, and I'm wondering if instead I can have a machine shop produce an internal aluminum sleeve that I can rivet to the inside of the mast bottom.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/12/2006 4:19 AM Pacific Time

Bill,

I would bet a lot that if you took your problem to a competent machine shop that they can fabricate a long-term viable solution for you. I have a friend who can do anything! He is about 70 years old and is the proverbial jack of all trades where it comes to welding and metal fabrication. I took my worn out rudder to him and he re-drilled the holes and stopped most of the really annoying clunking while at anchor. Today's technology is amazing.

Good luck

Greg
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/12/2006 7:44 AM Pacific Time

If the welder does a good 'full penetration weld' it will be a good weld and not weaken the metal around it.
However, making a sleeve to fit inside could be a heavier gauge and it would not go all the way around due to the bubble on the inside for the sail slot. You might even drill and tap a solid 2x3 chunk of aluminun all the way across, cut as a plug.
The welding sounds easiest.
Al Ge

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast bolt eyes sheared off -repairable?