Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Will my truck pull a C-22?

Author Will my truck pull a C-22?
Reggie
Wilmington N.C

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/07/2006 12:59 PM Pacific Time

I'm looking at a buying C-22 and would like to know if a Dodge Dakota 03' 4.7L V8 2x4 will pull this boat out of the water.?
Tim Rix
Northsalem New York

Boat Name: HMS wetdream

Model/Year: 2001 250 catalina WB

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Viking Boat yard Hudson river
10/08/2006 6:50 AM Pacific Time

Yes !!! it will rip it out of the water fast and pull down the road with no problems.
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Boat Name: no name

Model/Year: 1974 Catalina 22

Hull No. 3439

Hailing Port: Vermont
10/08/2006 7:08 AM Pacific Time

No problem with power, be careful what ramp your on with 2 wheel drive though.
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
10/08/2006 9:29 AM Pacific Time

My truck is a 1993 s10 ,4x4,4.3l.It pulls easily in 2wd on roads but not a chance on a ramp.Always 4wd hauling AND launching because if a 2wd has to go ahead to get straight you'll smoke the tires right off.
I would't even attempt it with a fwd,they are not built for that.
Our 22 was 3 hours away and 5 hours home and no trouble at all with lots of hills on route.The trailer-sailers sit low on the trailer which helps as well,and just made sure the truck brakes were a-1 starting out .but anything less than a 4.3 6cyl might not be enough guts for hills.
Hope this helps.
Kevin Murphy
Carmichael, CA

Boat Name: Booyah!

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No. #2526

Hailing Port: Carmichael, CA
10/09/2006 11:42 AM Pacific Time

The type of truck I had originally determined what my first boat was going to be - a Catalina 22. I orginally had a Ford F150 with two wheel drive and a V6 and never had a problem towing or retrieving from the ramp. Obviously the grade of the ramp and how wet it is are factors but again, in all types of conditions, I never had a problem.

I did have the full tow package on that vehicle - including the additional transmission cooler. U Haul service centers sell them for around $80 and will install them so if you have to add or upgrade your hitch anyway and need professional help (like I do most of the time) you can have them take care of it. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind.
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
10/09/2006 12:18 PM Pacific Time

I agree that the only problems that you will have with yolur current truck are removing the boat from the water. To overcome this problem, you may wish to get a trailer tongue extension.

As the C-22 sits relatively high on its trailer (I have the swing Keel version) you have to back your truck pretty far into the watert in order to get the boat on to the bunks. The vehicles that I have used are always far enough in so that the exhaust and botttom of the back bumper are in the water. The problem is not that the trucks are too weak to pull the load of the C-22, but rather that the rear wheels can not get any traction on the slippery ramp.

I have never had a problem with four wheel drive vehicles due to the fact that the front driving wheels are on dry pavement.

I think that a trailer extension may enable you to get the trailer far enough in the water so that the rear wheels of your truck will be on dry pavement.

hope that this helps.

Vic Summer Zamboni #13,100
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
10/10/2006 8:17 AM Pacific Time

I put a 7' trailer tongue extension on my trailer for my Catalina 22 and have no problems on any ramps with my two wheel drive CK1500 Chev pickup with the 350 V8 engine. I made my trailer into a tandem axle, but don't have any trailer brakes yet and wish I did. I am hoping to be able to add electric brakes to one of the axles to accomplish this. Anybody got suggestions how to do this? Thanks - Roger
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

10/10/2006 8:17 AM Pacific Time

I put a 7' trailer tongue extension on my trailer for my Catalina 22 and have no problems on any ramps with my two wheel drive CK1500 Chev pickup with the 350 V8 engine. I made my trailer into a tandem axle, but don't have any trailer brakes yet and wish I did. I am hoping to be able to add electric brakes to one of the axles to accomplish this. Anybody got suggestions how to do this? Thanks - Roger
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
10/11/2006 9:38 AM Pacific Time

Roger,
How did you put the extension on? I am sure a lot of people would like to know.
My extension is frozen solid and I have not been able to break it away. If you somehow added an extension please let me know how you did it.
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
10/11/2006 10:16 AM Pacific Time

Roger,

Check out this web site for trailer parts:

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Bob
Ole RB
33.6583N 82.2185W

Boat Name: "Water Toy"

Model/Year: 1990 - WK

Hull No. 15110

Hailing Port: Lake Thurmond GA
10/11/2006 1:08 PM Pacific Time

Paul, is your trailer painted or galvanized? I experienced some rust seizing on a painted trailer I had on a 91 Catalina Capri 16. However, it wasn't completely frozen. I put some wheel bearing grease on the underside of the tongue and it always worked freely from then on. It did however get frequent use in the time I owned the boat.

I also have noticed some rust forming on a galvanized trailer tongue on my '90 C22 wing keel trailer. I've greased that one also as a preventive measure.

The only issue I've noticed using the grease on the tongue is a very light oil slick on the water when I and launch/recover for the first couple times after the lube job.

Oh yeh, one other bad. Watch where you grab the tongue once its been greased.
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
10/12/2006 2:28 AM Pacific Time

My trailer is painted and the p.o. used it in saltwater and did not do the needed maintaince on the tongue. I have been working on it all summer and have not been able to free it at all. Now I am looking for a way to attach a swing out tongue to it if I can find the materials and a person to weld it.
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

10/13/2006 7:04 PM Pacific Time

Paul, I bought a 10' section of steel tubing that just fit into my oblong trailer tongue. After slipping the new extension into the trailer tongue, I spaced three bolt holes a good distance apart to hold the tongue extension in place. First of all I cut off the old hitch and had a new one welded on, etc.. Of course I had to extend all the trailer wiring longer and install a new pig tail. Anyhow, it worked out fine, and I never shorten up the tongue, I just haul the boat around with the extended tongue in place with no problem. Good luck - Roger

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Will my truck pull a C-22?