Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Hiking Pole Necessary???

Author Hiking Pole Necessary???
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/09/2006 4:04 PM Pacific Time

We have owned several sail boats and all had combing that you could sit on and hike out. We have a new Mark II 22 on order and it does not appear it is designed to sail out of the cockpit. The winches, cleats and high cockpit ridge looks uncomfortable.

Will we need a hiking stick or will we be sitting inside the cockpit.

Thanks

Rik & Konnie
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
10/10/2006 4:48 AM Pacific Time

Rik and Konnie, I don't think you will be hiking out in your C-22 gunwales like you might do on other sailboats. The weight of the keel and the design of the hull are such that traditional hiking angles would be an uncomfortable sailing experience.

I do have a tiller extension because I single hand the boat most of the time. The extension gives me a little mobility around the cockpit. A second person is typically used as "rail meat"
Rik Roberts
Vancouver, Washintgton USA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2007 Catalina 22 MK II

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/10/2006 5:17 AM Pacific Time

Thanks RC, why would keel and hull design make it uncomfortable. I can see that the combing does not have a great place to sit.

Rik
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
10/11/2006 4:22 AM Pacific Time

Rik; I guess I should have proofread what I wrote. The keel weight tends to make hiking unnecessary. The shape of the hull, being rounded, makes excessive heeling a very shakey proposition. It is true that you can keep the boat more upright by hanging off the side. The problem is that you lose waterline length and therefore speed if you are heeled too much.

Most boats I have hiked out on are multi-hulls or chined hull shapes. Consider a "Sunfish"; an example of a chined hull. The chie helps hold the boat stable in a heel. You can get a lot of weight out on the gunwales to keep the boat upright and there is little or no weight associated with the dagger board.

In the final analysis our C22's were really designed as "cruising" boats. We all know that when 2 sailboats are in the water, the race is on. I love to see the frustration in my friends' boats, 35 and 38', when I keep up or pass them on a light air day.

Lucas, TX

Boat Name: Hummingbird

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1110

Hailing Port: Lake Levon, TX
10/15/2006 4:58 PM Pacific Time

Rik, To race competively in a breeze you absolutely need to hike on the rail. Even with the keel is still helps to have all the “fat on the rail”. I have the older style boat and try to sit on the coming next to the winch and hang my butt over the rail. You will want an adjustable hiking stick so you can steer easily from the rail. You will also need to practice playing the main from the rail as well. To save on fiberglass butt it is a good idea to get a pair of padded shorts. The trimmer should sit next to the cabin with their butt out too. If you have a 3rd person they sit on the rail with their feet over the rail. The 3rd guy can hold onto the hand rail to keep from falling in.

The secret to getting a C22 to point in heavy air is to sail FLAT. The keel doesn’t do any good if it isn’t in the water. ;-)

Good Sailing,

Pete Harper Family
#1110 Hummingbird

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Hiking Pole Necessary???