Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / transom scupper leak

Author transom scupper leak
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
10/17/2006 3:43 PM Pacific Time

One of the transom through hull scuppers on my boat is leaking. Has anyone repaired or replaced a scupper on a new model boat? How much effort is involved?
martin Spotanske
kent,wa

Boat Name: none

Model/Year: 1988 c-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: wa
06/23/2009 11:59 AM Pacific Time

Yeah, I would like to know that too. Mines leaking in the starboard locker where the the battery is located
Pat Noonan
Fairhope, Al

Boat Name: Blue Dog

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Fairhope, Al
07/24/2009 3:30 AM Pacific Time

Mine didn't have the scupper so installed two using through hull fittings and Life Caulk. Take out the old one and install new with new caulk.
Peter Blask
Oxford

Boat Name: Forty Two

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1987

Hull No. CTYH4105B787

Hailing Port: Oxford, OH
07/24/2018 8:00 PM Pacific Time

I am getting ready to replace mine in the next few days. I ordered these http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/Deck-Drains/73101
They are stainless flanges with a pvc tube. I am am going to install them with boat life after it fill the interstitial hull gap with thickened Maas epoxy.
Peter Blask
Oxford

Boat Name: Forty Two

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1987

Hull No. CTYH4105B787

Hailing Port: Oxford, OH
07/31/2018 10:11 PM Pacific Time

I completed the scupper install using the motorwell product I mentioned above. I had to cut the old ones out using a metal cutoff wheel on a dremel. I enlarged to holes to 2 1/8" to accommodate the stainless ends. I cut down the threaded PVC tube so that the ends would snug up to the hull inside and out. I also used a grinder to create a flat on the inboard flange so it could be positioned as low as possible to the floor of the cockpit. I didn't grind the entire lip away so that the caulk would still have a sealing surface. I installed them with plenty of Boat Life caulk. It became apparent to me why the flared brass tubes leak. The transom surface isn't parallel to the inner cockpit wall so the scupper flange can't fit completely flat on both sides at the same time.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / transom scupper leak