Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Swaging wire rope

Author Swaging wire rope
Graham Jones
Brisbane, Queensland (Australia)

Boat Name: Bullwinkle

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22

Hull No. dont know yet...

Hailing Port: Brisbane
10/22/2006 1:10 AM Pacific Time

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me is there is alternative way to swage wire rope with something like a vice and some sort of die. The special swaging tools are too expensive for me to consider as I only have a couple of hand-rail lines to swage, using a stainless steel swage.

many thanks,
Graham.
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
10/23/2006 2:47 AM Pacific Time

Take a look at Home Depot. They carry a swage tool for about $20.00 It is the type that looks like a large pair of bolt cutters. You will surely use them again. Also, most West Marine stores have a bench model set up in their store that you may use free for the asking. They won't do the swages for you(liability I suspect) but will tell you how to use the machine.
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
10/23/2006 2:50 AM Pacific Time

oops, sorry Graham, I didn't notice you were "not from around here" Still might be worth checking your local chanderly to see if they have a swaging bench set up that you could borrow.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/23/2006 6:50 AM Pacific Time

If you are looking for the roll swage for a life line, there is really no good substitute. there is a bulky one that you should be able to find in a commerial hardware catalog. It use a large socket and the wire is flared into it and then filled with epoxy. Check with WEST Systems maybe you could flay the end of the wire a bit and stuff it into the socket filled with epoxy. I know they reccomend just epoxy for keel bolts, they add that they put the nuts on just for the customer's peace of mind.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Swaging wire rope