Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Propane Stove in the Cockpit

Author Propane Stove in the Cockpit
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Lynn Creek Marina
11/13/2006 11:59 AM Pacific Time

I'm going to do my first overnighter next weekend on a local lake. I don't have an alcohol stove and I'm about half afraid of them anyway (thanks to BoatUS burning boat photos). I do have a Coleman propane camping stove and was thinking about putting it on the starboard fiberglass seat in the cockpit near the stern and making coffee & breakfast there, if the lake is calm. I was going to keep the propane hanging off the side overnight to be sure I don't get propane in the cabin. Any thoughts, warnings, suggestions, or burning boat pictures would be appreciated!
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
11/13/2006 12:14 PM Pacific Time

That is fine. As long as you're in a well ventilated area, the propane will not be an issue. It settles to the low points as you know. I used to use my propane stove right up against the bulk head in the cockpit.
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Hull No. 14108

11/13/2006 12:58 PM Pacific Time

Against the cabin bulkhead sounds like a better place. Less rolling & pitching as its nearer the center point of the hull. Did you put anything under your stove to protect the fiberglass? I was thinking about putting my stove on an old insulated cookie sheet. My stove is a Coleman 2 burner propane and I'm not sure how hot it gets on the bottom. Sounds like I have a science experiment on tap for tonight!
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 622

11/14/2006 5:12 AM Pacific Time

My Coleman had legs on it. The body of the stove doesn't really get hot. Well, at least on mine it doesn't.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
11/14/2006 6:20 AM Pacific Time

We use a propane single burner stove and a propane grill, but we use a table that spans the cockpit seats. We keep the cylinders in a bag on the rail, I have seen a couple of people keep them in the coaming boxes.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/14/2006 7:28 AM Pacific Time

Joe, if you would like I have a table that will fit in the cockpit that I built many years ago. It is plywood legs and top, the legs form an X and the top has guides on the bottom to hold it in place. It folds up to three 1/2" pieces for storage. You're welcome to it if you wish,
Al Ge
Perry Davids
Bellevue, Washington

Boat Name: Pobocca

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 6370

Hailing Port:
11/14/2006 7:39 AM Pacific Time

I have had a propane stove installed on the sliding sink assembly (name) for 10 years. When I use it I make sure the forward hatch and companionway are open and I pop the top a few inches.

Enjoyed many meals especially bacon and eggs in the AM with no issues. Tanks are kept outside at all times.

As with anythiing to do with water/wind and weather common sense prevails.

In my opinion much easier than messing with alchohol. Also you can purchase a propane detector that would mount somewhere at the lowest point in the cabin.

West Marine has them.

Adios
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Hull No. 14108

11/20/2006 11:06 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the great information and Al, thanks for the offer on the cockpit table. The scouts changed their plans so we didn't spend the night on the lake! But I still plan on doing it when it warms up a bit.

Thanks agin!
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
11/21/2006 6:37 AM Pacific Time

Check out the next issue of Main Brace. It should have a short piece and a photo or two of a proven setup for cooking in the cockpit.
Philip & Sharon
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
11/22/2006 5:47 AM Pacific Time

I am very interested in this topic. Cooking on the boat is one of my challenges. I too bought a two burner Coleman and just set it on one seat in the cockpit. I painted Magnificat and have seen no detrimental effects due to heat. The problem that I have is that the grill on the stove is so wide and the pans we use are small, any rough weather at all would make cooking very interesting.

I know that you are not supposed to but I keep my extra propane bottles in a plastic tub with a lid and leave them under the starboard cockpit bench. I haven't had any problems at all and when you open the lid you would instantly smell propane if you had a leak.

On the cooking subject, how does everyone handle their water supply. This is an even bigger challenge for me. Nancy and I intend to do some extended (4 or 5 day) cruising and we are struggling with where to put the ice chest, how to carry enough water etc.

Thanks,

Greg
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 622

11/22/2006 6:09 AM Pacific Time

As to storage of Propane, I store it in a mesh bag on the pushpit. For long cruises, I freeze several one-gallon water bottles as well as several small individual drink bottles. It takes a long time for the big ones to melt and as they do, I replace the water in the small individual bottles with that from the big ones.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Propane Stove in the Cockpit