Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Storage/Under Cushion Covers

Author Storage/Under Cushion Covers
Andrew Smith
Corpus Christi, TX

Boat Name: unnamed

Model/Year: 1971?? C22

Hull No. 6100

Hailing Port: Corpus Christi Municipal Marina
11/13/2006 1:05 PM Pacific Time

I need to cut the storeage cover/under cushion boards for the cabin of an early to mid-1970's C-22. I tried measuring, transferring to cardboard, etc. I am not much of a carpenter, and I never achieved a decent fit. Is there anyone with a C-22 in the Corpus Christi, Texas area that would let me trace these interior boards? I also would want to trace the the dining table and the cabin entrance step. Please e-mail me at [email protected].

Andrew Smith
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
11/14/2006 10:22 AM Pacific Time

Andrew, I have an alternate suggestion. If you get some large sheets of paper like butcher paper or even white wrapping paper, cut it a bit larger than the opening you are making the board for, then use a crayon or soft pencil to mark the rim of the opening on the paper. If you cut out to that line, you have a template for cutting the wood.

Greg Baker
Andrew G Smith
Corpus Christi, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/15/2006 7:39 AM Pacific Time

Greg, thanks for that suggestion. I tried measuring and cutting out on cardboard, and still was off. But, if I tape and stretch the paper across the top of the opening I should be able to get a good tracing of the actual opening with a crayon. I am going to give that a try and I will let you know if that worked. I am not going to claim woodwork or carpentry as a strong point.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
11/16/2006 5:58 AM Pacific Time

Andrew, Keep in mind that the original covers have the edges rounded on the bottom to better fit. You can probably use a saber saw to angle the cuts a little. I don't have a galley in my boat and there was no cover on the "sink" built into the top of the bunk. I purchased a plastic cutting board and made one out of that for that small hole. that probably wouldn't work for a larger opening like the storage compartments. Have you given any thought to what material you plan to use? Whatever it is you should use a good sealer on the wood to keep water from soaking into it and swelling it out of shape. Some good marine plywood would be a good choice. Sand the edges well to eliminate splinters and coat with a high quality exterior varnish.

Greg
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
11/16/2006 8:05 AM Pacific Time

This may be a bit of a diversion but I don't believe you really need marine plywood. The higher grades (like AB or AC) exterior plywood look almost as nice and the glues are just as waterproof. I think the only advantage of marine plywood is that the spec on internal voids is a lot tougher so that it can be shaped to a fair curve without hard spots. Of course on a flat cover board, you don't care about that.

Greg Baker
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
11/16/2006 3:57 PM Pacific Time

if you can't find anyone in your area, let me know and i will trace my boards onto paper and send you the paper as a template you can reach me at [email protected]

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Storage/Under Cushion Covers