Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / mast rake

Author mast rake
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
11/20/2006 8:32 PM Pacific Time

i have seen different ways to measure mast rake. my question is when my boat is on the water and i use the hang a weight method is having the weight of my 5hp motor going to throw my boat off its lines. i just feel my boat is sluggish in the stern area when sailing. could this be a different problem or is it because my mast is too far back.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/21/2006 4:51 AM Pacific Time

I have set the mast rake while the boat is on the trailer by leveling the water line with a spirit level by sighting it along the water line and raising or lowering the trailer tongue. When I do it now I use my laser straight line that has a level built in and it puts out a fan beam that shines along the water line. Much easier than on the water.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
11/21/2006 9:26 PM Pacific Time

Greg. The answer to your question is yes. The best way is with the boat on a trailer and level. If you have too much weight aft and your transom is dragging in the water then the boat would feel sluggish. Having the mast too far aft would give exessive weather helm. Dick
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
11/22/2006 10:26 AM Pacific Time

Greg,
Another method is to measure the headstay length. I find this an easier method if the boat is trailered (mast down). If you mast is stepped, the the plumb bob method is much easier. A good starting point for the headstay is 27'1" from pin to pin. From there you can adjust it until you have a good amount of weather helm. If you have a kickup rudder and it is not staying down, that'll effect helm. Also, make sure you keel is all the way down. The keel cable should be slack when it is. Some folks like a little tension on the cable, but you should be certain that it is down all the way and then adjust cable tension to you preferences.

Hope that helps more than it complicates! :-)
David
www.fleet9.org
www.c22region10.org/bb

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / mast rake