Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / rigging my jib downhaul to do double duty for my gennaker tack?

Author rigging my jib downhaul to do double duty for my gennaker tack?
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/30/2006 5:34 PM Pacific Time

Hi - I'm trying to set up my boat to rig a gennaker. I have a spin crane installed for the head of the sail, and two blocks on each side of the aft cockpit for the sheets attached to the clew.

For the tack, I was thinking of using my jib downhaul for double duty by moving my forestay to the middle hole of the bow chainplate, the jib snap schackle to the rear hole, and the block I use to run the jib downhaul to the forwardmost hole (I use fairleads attached to my port stanchions and run the sheet back to the cockpit). This way, I can also use this same sheet to attach to the gennaker tack, and because the block it runs through is forwardmost, it will be free to move from side to side during a gybe without interference from the forestay.

The only unknown is whether the jib downhaul will work as smoothly as it did before (where I had it rigged going from fore to aft as forestay, jib snap shackle, and jib downhaul). Thoughts? Also, am I correct in assuming I can move the forestay to the middle hole without worries?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
12/31/2006 5:29 AM Pacific Time

Bill, I think my boat is rigged about the way you de3scribe, but withone difference. My forestay is in the forward hole of the stem fitting. The jib is in the middle and the jib down-haul and gennaker/cruising chute tack line are in the aft hole running through a double block. I am actually thinking about goin to a triple block and running my dowsing sock lines for the gennaker through it too.

With the double block in front I think you would have quite a bit of interference with the forestay when gybing. I gybe mine just like a jib, not like a spinnaker.

If you do move your forestay, I would first determine how much rake you have in the mast. and duplicate that with the repositioned forestay. Just a couple of inches on deck will make a large difference 25 feet away.
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/31/2006 6:57 PM Pacific Time

Thanks R.C.

I began to worry about this setup in any case as I am concerned that the spinlock furling leads attached to my stanchions and used for my jib doenhaul weren't meant to carry the load of a spinnaker tack.

I got the spin crane for my mast so I can gybe the cruising chute outside the forestay. Hmmm. I'm wondering if anyone has set up a double headboard shackle. What I'm thinking is to create an attachment point for the chute tack ahead of the forestay, so it remains forward of the forestay and the bow pulpit. If I keep the forestay attached to the frontmost hole, but also attach a second D schackle to the same pin as the one used by the forestay shackle, I may be able to accompish this.

My tack line wouldn't be adjustable, but it wouldn't interfere with my forestay or jib.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
01/01/2007 5:35 AM Pacific Time

Bill, I think you may be trying to do too much sith you spinlocks leading aft. You will need a separate one for your tack adjuster. I have lead my tack line aft using another set of blocks on the stanchions. There is not a lot of stress on these blocks. The turning block carries the burden.

In any event, enjoy your winter snow, my kids go to Heavenly every year. I'm about 100 days from my relaunch. Here it is Jan. 1 and at 8:30AM it is 60 F. Maybe I should go launch now.

Happy New Year

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / rigging my jib downhaul to do double duty for my gennaker tack?