Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Refinishing the Keel

Author Refinishing the Keel

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/17/2004 1:28 PM Pacific Time

My wife and I own a 1976 C-22 that has been used on fresh water (mostly Lake Erie) all of its life. I moved the boat to Va. and am reworking most fittings. I removed the keel as there are numerous rust areas as one would expect for a boat this year. I have watched the video on removal and repair but that was a keel from the great Salt Lake. My problem isn't that bad (I don't think). I have used a grinder and removed all loose scale and basically gone over the whole keel. There are MANY pitted areas. Can I simply wash it down as suggested, use a rust converter, and then begin filling? Or do I need to have everything nice and smooth before re shaping. I don't believe we'll be racing and if we do it won't be as a serious contenders. I also found the hole for the pin to be out of round (elongated) but wonder if I really need to do anything about that. I did buy all the new fittings from Catalina Direct. The pin that holds the keel cable seems to be pretty good- slightly turned but not bad. I also have new cable for that. Suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, dropping the keel was a breeze with the great directions that came with the video. What I didn't figure on was the amount of dust that was created when grinding. I had to moved the keel outside my shop, and while it snowed heavily, ground it off.
RJ Tazelaar
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Gecko

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. 12180

Hailing Port: Percy Priest Yacht Club
02/19/2004 11:23 AM Pacific Time

When I refinished my keel, I sandblasted it... and I think that was unnecessary. If I had it to do again, I would remove the rust and scale, then patch it up with epoxy.

As far as the elongated hole... that's a judgement call on your part. It's a pain in the @$$ to get that hole fixed, so if you can live with it, live with it. If it's the kind of thing that makes you crazy, then fix it.

Sounds like you had an easy time removing the keel & moving it around. If that's the case, you might plug the elongated hole with epoxy, and then drill it out to the appropriate size.

RJ
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
02/20/2004 4:07 PM Pacific Time

I wouldn't try to redrill and bush the hole unless you have a drill press. Even then if there is just a minor enlongation you can wax the pin, put it in the hole and use epoxy to fill it. the pits in the keel are great . Think of them as more surface area for the epoxy to bond to. I personaly wouldn't use anything but epoxy i.e. no Bondo or polyester stuff.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/24/2004 8:22 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the info. The idea of simply filling the hole with epoxy I hadn't thought of -dah! Great idea. Thanks!
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Boat Name: Knot On Call

Model/Year: Former C-22 Now C-250

Hull No. 66

Hailing Port: Sutter Creek, California
02/29/2004 10:13 AM Pacific Time

I just got home after launching my boat for the season. I lowered the keel and it lowers almost all the way but the last few turns of the winch the cable is snagged on a turn of the cable.. Any suggestions?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/29/2004 11:33 AM Pacific Time

Do you keep the boat in the water? If so, I suggest raising the keel, then running a line under the boat and tying it off at the cabin to secure the keel. Then unwind the keel cable from the winch by pulling it to the side and undo the wrap. Once it is untangled, crank the cable in using a gloved hand to put tension on it as you wind. When it is tight, remove the line under the boat and let the keel down.

If you trailer it, then you can correc the situation next time you pull the boat.
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Hull No. 66

02/29/2004 12:41 PM Pacific Time

The boat is currently in the water and I don't want to take it out and put in on the trailer. I will try you suggestion next weekend and let you know the outcome.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/29/2004 1:47 PM Pacific Time

Another alternative is to let the keel down in shallow water so you can get the cable slack enough to get the overwrap out.
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Hull No. 66

02/29/2004 2:14 PM Pacific Time

Great idea Dick. Thank you!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/27/2005 7:26 AM Pacific Time

I have tried and tried to find the Extend or Rust-Mort down here in my part of midway down in Florida possible all of florida.... no one has anything like it... is it a norther product? now what.....any sugestions....
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
07/27/2005 8:47 AM Pacific Time

Judy, Extend is a Loctite product. Look at
http://www.heavydutystore.com/Extend_Rust_Treatment_page_1_c_764.html
Bill Fuqua
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Mr Bill

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 9857

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, Tx
07/28/2005 4:22 AM Pacific Time

Judy, Home Depot carries Extend. I found a keel and began working on it last week. Bill
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
07/28/2005 10:32 AM Pacific Time

Hi - check the growing thread for the 'Who NEEDS a keel refinishing video'.

I redid my keel this spring. I found product similar to RustMort which was black and consistency like tar. I coated this with West 105 with 205 hardner, white pigment and some 405 fairing filler. Good results only had to watch not to sand to deep with my orbital sander.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/28/2005 3:28 PM Pacific Time

to Peter in South Daytona, Florida i posted this question on the video request string of post ..

i have a biggy of a question.......
have you had trouble finding the "extend" or "rust -mort " down here in florida.....as shown as a sugested product on the video? if so what are you planing to or have you used if needed for that layer

i have aready tried home depot and lowes looking for extend and the other product.. even stoped in a sherwin williams auto paint and other stuff place that selles everything and more to resore cars.. no luck even thier.

tring to track down an ace hardware still open or a scotties to see if they have one

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/28/2005 3:32 PM Pacific Time

Bill Fuqua in Houston, TX... perhaps if i cant find any by next week i can send you some $$$ to get me some and send it to me? what was the dollar amount you had to shell out? how big was the container it came in? was it way to big for the job? I can only image if i find it i bet it will only come in gallon jugs.... if so and you have some left over do you have a bit more then way more enough to do a whole other keel ? if so can i buy from you whats left?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/28/2005 3:55 PM Pacific Time

found it "extend" finally at my last try of bay area home depot in a spray form, is that ok to use insead of liquid form?
Bill Fuqua
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Mr Bill

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 9857

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, Tx
07/29/2005 6:36 AM Pacific Time

I got the spray also. After a web search that was all I could find. I am working on mine this weekend but since it is the same product I am not worried.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
09/27/2005 5:48 AM Pacific Time

I have thought this over and over again ......

I will attempt to drop the keel and refinish although the keel is in great shape. I have all of the hardware but need some help/advice on dropping it. The boat is elevated on the trailer (about 4 inches of the top back end of the keel corner showing). Making a "sled" to use.

If anyone has pictures/adviec please email me:
[email protected]

I plan to refinish the entire keel surface with JB Weld.
This stuff is great.
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/27/2005 8:10 AM Pacific Time

George, Catalina Direct has a Keel Refinishing Video which I highly recommend. It will/should answer any of your questions. It comes with a template for fairing the keel to a proper foil shape.

Peter
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
09/30/2008 9:07 PM Pacific Time

I know this is an old thread, but my question fits right in here. I'm refinishing my keel and trying to build it up to the 13% foil shape discussed in the Keel Refinishing Video. (BTW an alternative to Rust-Mort and Extend is JASCO Prep and Primer. It does exactly the same thing as the other two. Works well. Bought it at LOWE's.)

My problem is that the build-up with fairing compound is proving to be a huge task. The keel is nowhere near a 13% foil, requiring massive amounts of compound to give it some shape. The stock keel is little more than a big heavy centerboard until you get 2/3 of the way down its length, where you begin to see some shape. Have others of you found the same thing? I've gone through 3/4 gallon of the compound and I'm not even close to finishing one side of the keel yet. Has anyone else found this task so daunting? Any suggestions?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/01/2008 11:52 PM Pacific Time

i paid a friend to do mine. but i have heard over and over in this thread that one side is a lot worse than the other side within shape specifications. it will get better.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
10/02/2008 10:25 AM Pacific Time

Pat,
Here's some photos to give you an idea.
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/Keel-Project

You can contact me at this forum if you have more questions:
www.c22region10.org/bb

David
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
10/02/2008 7:42 PM Pacific Time

Dave, Thanks for your response. I saw the slide-show of your keel project on SailNet. Very impressive and inspiring.

Lynn, You have heard correctly. In fact it seems the side of the keel I am now working on is the better of the two. It's gonna get worse before it gets better, but I will hang in there. I'm sure I'll appreciate it when it's all done. Do you really notice a big difference in performance with the newly shaped/faired keel over the unshaped stock chunk of iron?

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Refinishing the Keel