Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Pop Top rails/ gluing teak

Author Pop Top rails/ gluing teak
Jill / Mike Trude
Hermon N.Y.

Boat Name: Chickadee

Model/Year: 1975 Catalina 22

Hull No. 6285

Hailing Port: Henderson Harbor, N.Y.
01/01/2007 7:23 AM Pacific Time

Hello, The rails on our pop top need replacing, The shim repair was done by the P.O. and has outlived it self. Is there any reason I cant use Cedar? Our hatch boards also need repair, one has split in half. Is there any special technique needed for guing Teak? Thanks Mike
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
01/01/2007 12:50 PM Pacific Time

Hello Jill and mike, I had to fix some problem hatch boards as well, and I used titebond 2 glue. I made sure that the area within the crack was free of any dirt, or splinters, then brushed the glue on each side of the crack, and clamped them together. Clean the oozing glue with a wet cloth, do this a couple of times. Once dry, I sanded them down, and applied a product called Bush Oil. It's a sealer, and brings out the beautiful color of the teak. After that is dry, I applied several coats of a marine varnish. I did this to all of my teak, and I'm very happy with the results. As far as using cedar, I would guess that you could, but I'm really not sure of the long lasting life of cedar over teak, but if it is sealed and treated I'm sure it would last a long while. Have fun, and take care, Jay
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
01/02/2007 7:27 PM Pacific Time

Jill/Mike: If you want to replace the teak rails with some custom machined aluminum rails, let me know. I have a set. They are not anodized. Can be painted any color you wish.

Mike Bracket
Gunsmoke 9150
Jill / Mike Trude
Hermon N.Y.

Hull No. 6285

01/05/2007 5:28 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the replies,Thomas, I have some Titebond so I will try it on the hatch boards, I have also heard that you should clean the joining surfaces with acetone before gluing? I have some cedar already but thanks for the offer Mike. Does anyone know how high the slot should be cut? I can measure the depth alright but Im not sure the height, as I said the P.O. added the shim repair. Would measuring the total height with shim included work? I would have to add some as the hatch was starting to screatch a little. Thanks Mike Trude
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
01/06/2007 4:29 AM Pacific Time

Mike, cleaning with acetone is a must. Teak is an oily wood. The acetone will get rid of the oil and insure a better bond. For your info, I use Gorilla Glue. Dampen one side to be glued with water and apply glue to the other, clamp for a couple of hours and the job is done. I also use alcohol prep swabs to wipe off any material that oozes from the side. It stops the urethane from curing

I would be concerned about the long term durability of cedar. I always thought of cedar as being a fairly soft wood that is relatively easy to split (cedar shakes)

A friend of mine has used counter top laminate cut into strips for the bottom of his hatch slide groove on a larger boat. It is neat and really durable. He did it at least 5 years ago. I guess you could also add it to the bottom of the hatch.
Lynn W Larremore
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Tortuga Pirate

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1651

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
01/09/2007 3:42 PM Pacific Time

Mike & RC -
Cedar hardness varies from soft to medium-hard. You can usually check density visually. Good cedar is very resinous and should be well cleaned before using glues or epoxies on it. Not sure which solvent would work best. Acetone is a good go-to general use solvent.
BTW- A number of woods are called Cedar but ain't. And there are several types of cedar- Red, White, Lebanese. Down thisaway, Juniper is called Cedar. They all smell good & are resinous. Suggest that you check yours out before spending a lot of time on it.
Jill / Mike Trude
Hermon N.Y.

Hull No. 6285

01/10/2007 3:16 AM Pacific Time

Well, the hatch board repair went well I used acetone to clean the surfaces and Titebond for the glue. The "seam" is more visible than I would like but it had been split in half for a very long time and cutting a straight edge would have resulted in a too short board. Im using what we call in northern new york as red cedar. very aromatic, red and yellow grained, lots of very small tight knots. Im laminating two 1 inch pieces together and will cut the rail from that. Can some one measure the height of the slot in their rail so I have an idea ? Thanks for the help, Mike
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
01/10/2007 8:07 AM Pacific Time

Another problem with some types of cedar, is that the resins cause many varnishes to take forever to dry. I once made a bookshelf out of western red cedar and put polyurethane varnish on it. It took literally months to dry. I have since learned that furniture makers use shellac as a sealer before varnish but I don't think that works too well on a boat.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 8:52 AM Pacific Time

I do a little wood working and most furniture makers will agree that the cheep white glue, you know the stuff you made arts and crafts with as a kid, is about the best choice for most situations. One, white glue stays flexable so expansion and contraction is not hindered. Two, In UV light it does not become extreamly brittle like most "wood glues". Lastly, it is very easy to clean up! Gorilla glue is some great stuff but for the average person that stuff can get nasty for clean up and when it starts to expand. I use the white glue on my C-22 and have no problems.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 8:54 AM Pacific Time

By the way when you use the white glue... Clean the area well! and then dampen the area you are glueing with water. Yes water, nice clean fresh water. then apply the glue liberly with a brush to both pices. And, clamp for at least 24 hours.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Pop Top rails/ gluing teak