Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Loose Spreader

Author Loose Spreader
Scott
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Promiseland

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel/1985

Hull No. 12982

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Bay, Portland OR
01/04/2007 2:09 PM Pacific Time

Durning my continuing mast inspection one of the spreaders on my 1985 C22 has some play in it, yet the other one is solid and does not move at all. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the SS spreader bracket or the spreader itself, is there some kind of glue, or something that I should do to stop this spreader from having some play, or is it ok for them to move a bit?

This mast inspection is leading to all kinds of new lessons for me!
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
04/23/2007 2:56 AM Pacific Time

I don't think that slight looseness is likely to be a major problem as I understand most of the forces on the spreader to be compression into the mast.

On my C22, the previous owner had wrapped many layers of tape over the join between the tube and the spreader bracket to prevent any movement. He'd also put a lot of tape over the shroud end of the spreader to prevent the shroud from moving in the spreader slot. This probably stop the shroud from rubbing against the spreader but it obviously makes it hard to inspect the shroud for wear.

I recently damaged one of my spreader brackets (a SS one), and am going to have to replace it with a different model. Have you ever done this yourself?

Best regards,

John Wheeler
Sydney, Australia

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Loose Spreader