Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Bow Eye Replacement

Author Bow Eye Replacement
Matt Perry
Duluth, GA

Boat Name: Capn' Morgan

Model/Year: C22/1970

Hull No. 225

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
01/30/2007 7:24 PM Pacific Time

I noticed one posting on this topic and was wondering if anyone else could comment on how to properly replace a single bolt eye configuration with the newer Trailer Bow Eye U-Bolt. The Stem reinforcement assy was previously installed on my boat.

I have purchased:
Trailer Bow Eye U-Bolt
Bow Eye Backing Block Plastic
West System Epoxy Small Repair Kit

A few qusestions I can think of:
#1 Assuming I use the existing hole, does it matter of I drill the 2nd hole above or below?
#2 The U Bolt comes with two plates, I assume both of these go inside the boat on each side of the Bow Eye Backing Block Plastic
#3 What other bonding materials are needed?
#4 The previous single bolt configuration cause two indentations on the outside of the boat, how can I repair this cosmetic issue?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/31/2007 6:38 AM Pacific Time

Visit the Catalina 22 Fleet 20 website www.c22pdx.org and go to the Tech Tips link. Under the category title Miscellaneous you will find:

Bow Eye and Stem Fitting Upgrade

As to whether you drill the second hole above or below the original hole, I recommend you decide based on how your boat sits on the trailer and what angle you want from the bow eye to the trailer's winch.
Matt Perry
Duluth, GA

Boat Name: Capn' Morgan

Model/Year: C22/1970

Hull No. 225

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
01/31/2007 8:04 PM Pacific Time

Enough said. Thank you for the helpful link.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Bow Eye Replacement