Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Painting the non-skid deck suface.

Author Painting the non-skid deck suface.
Rico Weber
Meridian, ID

Boat Name: Jubilation

Model/Year: Catalina 22 SK, 1975

Hull No. 4982

Hailing Port: Rico's Bay
02/02/2007 4:59 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone painted the non-skid deck surface. I have a 1975 C22 (Jubilation). The non-skid deck surface color is "Butterscotch" (as my sister calls it). It gets very hot in the summer sun and my wife definitely does not like the color. I would like to paint the surface white. Any recommendations on what to use and how to do this? Thanks in advance.
Rico
Rico Weber
Meridian, ID

Boat Name: Jubilation

Model/Year: Catalina 22 SK, 1975

Hull No. 4982

Hailing Port: Rico's Bay
02/02/2007 5:04 PM Pacific Time

I see that this is addressed in another discussion.
I will check there for advice.

Thanks!
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
02/03/2007 6:31 PM Pacific Time

My boat was just painted the butterscotch non-skid on my 73 model with pickup truck bedliner material with some silicon beads poured in for good measure. Sprayed and it looks nice with the original pattern of the non-skid still visible. I used white, latex bedliner material from the local automotive paint store. It was a hundred bucks for a gallon of the paint which was enough to do all the butterscotch.
Kemo Sabe
Matt Perry
Duluth, GA

Boat Name: Capn' Morgan

Model/Year: C22/1970

Hull No. 225

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
02/06/2007 10:13 AM Pacific Time

Larry,

Do you have any pictures you can share of the finished product? I am considering this project.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Hull No. 2229

02/07/2007 5:41 PM Pacific Time

Matt,
Yes, I have some pictures, but don't know how to post them here. Let me see if I can do something to post them so you can see them, or send me your real email to larryepps at yahoo dot com Make sure that you say something in the subject area to attact my attention, otherwise I might think it is spam. You know how that goes.

Thank,
Larry
Larry
Greenville, SC

Hull No. 2229

02/07/2007 6:35 PM Pacific Time

Matt,

Try this address to see what happens.

http://new.photos.com/larryepps

You may have to click on the slideshow. I have no idea if this will work.

Larry
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
02/09/2007 3:59 PM Pacific Time

Rico, most people paint a contrasting color in order to cut down on the deck glare. If you paint the entire deck top white it will be very bright the whole time you are on the boat. Recommend you go with a off white, light gray, beige, or maybe lighten the color you have now. Mine is light blue, the original C22 color and covered really well with just one coat. If I ever do a 2nd coat (the original lasted 34 years), I'd try to talk my husband into lightening the blue to a softer color.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Painting the non-skid deck suface.