Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Running Rigging

Author Running Rigging
Lynn Van Hooser
Arlington, Texas

Boat Name: High Maintenance

Model/Year: C-22/1973

Hull No. 2902

Hailing Port: Lake Arlington Yacht Club
02/08/2007 8:24 PM Pacific Time

Where can you order the open turnbuckles? I need to replace some of mine; however, I cannot find them without the whole rigging set-up. I have the old small 3/16th forward lower stays, which I will replace. The other wires have been replaced. Also, I am planning to install a double-ended main sheet on the boom. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do this?

Thanks,

Lynn Van Hooser
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
02/09/2007 4:19 AM Pacific Time

Hi Lynn ,
THese parts are "Standing Rigging"
Probably the best place is right here. Upper right hand corner where it says store.
Even if you call them to be sure that you are getting the correct part for your year boat.
All OE parts. :)

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=208

and probably

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=160

I would also order the Owner's Handbook for the C22. They have the parts online but not always easily findable in their online catalog.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3

Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
02/09/2007 4:02 PM Pacific Time

Also check West Marine, but I think the Catalina Direct prices may be cheaper.
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
02/09/2007 7:18 PM Pacific Time

Hi Lynn, I to am planning on putting a double ended mainsheet on my boat this spring. I posted this same question on Chip Fords web site a few months ago, and with all of the input from fellow sailors, I'm going with the same setup as Catalina Direct has. I piece mealed the parts that I needed over the fall. What you will need is; Harken #140 pivoting exit block, two single blocks, and one bail for one block to hang from, or you could use one double block, such as a Harken#127. Use the drawing that is on the Catalina Direct site, just under the double ended mainsheet, and you should be home free. I'm placing my pivoting exit block just above the companion way threshold. Turnbuckles have left and right threads, be sure to replace yours with the correct ones. Take care, Jay
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Hull No. 15021

02/09/2007 7:24 PM Pacific Time

Lynn, another great source of information is; www.c22pdx.org.... it has excellent tech tip section, from doubled ended mainsheets to, well, what ever you need to know. Have fun, Jay
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
02/10/2007 10:49 AM Pacific Time

Thomas,
Turnbuckles have right and left hand threads on different ends, this is what allows for the change in adjustment, buy just turning the barrel.
Lynn Van Hooser
Arlington, Texas

Boat Name: High Maintenance

Model/Year: C-22/1973

Hull No. 2902

Hailing Port: Lake Arlington Yacht Club
02/10/2007 12:04 PM Pacific Time

Thanks so much for the info. I continue to learn little by little with this boat. There is so much more to being the skipper/owner than just the crew.
lvh
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Hull No. 15021

02/10/2007 7:58 PM Pacific Time

Hi Lynn, I did indeed give you wrong information about turnbuckles. As Stan noted, turnbuckles have left and right threads on opposite ends. I was caught up on the time I replaceing my pelican hooks on my life lines. The threaded style of pelican hooks can be ordered with left or right handed threads. I should of have had one more cup of coffee before I wrote that! Take care, Jay
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
02/12/2007 4:59 AM Pacific Time

Lyn, Have found open body turnbuckles from Hamilton Marine for $21. Good service too and they are very helpful.
Dennis
Jacksonville, NC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1980 Catalina 25

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/03/2008 4:17 PM Pacific Time

when i purchased my my 1980 c25 all the running rigging was stripped. i know where the most of it goes but am having trouble figuring out how to rig the mainsail.
Dennis
Jacksonville, NC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1980 Catalina 25

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/03/2008 4:25 PM Pacific Time

when i purchased my my 1980 c25 all the running rigging was stripped. i know where the most of it goes but am having trouble figuring out how to rig the mainsail.
can anyone tell me where to find a diagram?

thank you

Dennis
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/04/2008 3:28 AM Pacific Time

Dennis,
Have you tried the C-25 Association?

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/Cat25manpre88.pdf
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/04/2008 3:03 PM Pacific Time

If you join the C25 Association, they have a great website and technical help. I had three different C25's a fixed, wing, and swing and they we a god send of information. I think the dues are only $20.00 or $25.00 dollars and you get a quarterly Catalina Magazine named the "Mainsheet" After you join, they give you a password to their website to get on the chat room and members only sites.
Bill Reed
Palm Desert/San Pedro, CA

Boat Name: Makai

Model/Year: 27/1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: San Pedro, CA
05/24/2008 10:14 AM Pacific Time

Hello everyone,

my first time in a msg board, ever. I have a '79 Catalina 27 in very nice shape, except for some of the running rigging, which for the most part is in really great shape, except for the MAINSHEET TRAVELER CAR.
The car istself is also in like new condition, except for the (nylon?) rollers (wheels) that keep it on the track. Sorry if I'm not using the right terms here.
I've been to Catalina (Marina Del Rey, the co.) and they do not have any suggestions. I went to Minnes, in Newport Beach, Ca and they did not have a replacement either.
I did notice the wheels look like they come off and might be able to be replaced.
Any suggestions? This is the only thing keeping me from leaving the slip (under sail).
Thanks in advance,
Bill
PS: if anyone has an Atomic 4 gas engine, I just rebuilt mine and I would be happy to help anyone considering or already doing the same.
dave
Mahwah NJ

Boat Name: Little Miss Adventure

Model/Year: 30 Tall Rig/ 1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Mahwah
04/27/2009 6:16 AM Pacific Time

Bill

Saw you post about the wheels on your taveler car - I have the same problem see status below - Did you get yours resloved? Can you advise what you did, particularly if you figured out how to replace the cars?

Thanks

Dave

I have a 1982 Catalina 30 purchased last year, I believe the traveler is the original equipment. The plastic rollers (for the lines) on the cars are broken, the yard advised that the rollers themselves could not be replaced, but that I needed to get new cars , that was easy enough from Catalina Direct. It would appear the only way to replace the cars is to remove one of the "end blocks" large black hard rubber stoppers at either end of the track. There is a silver "push button" that would appear to be a release that would allow for this, however I cannot seem to make the pin move. I have tried WD40, and graphite, even a few raps with the captains tool (hammer) however no luck. I have been reluctant to wail away on them as I am not 100% sure this is stuck "release button".

I am sure others have replaced these traveler cars, any suggestions for how to remove the end block, or am I going about this all wrong?

Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
04/28/2009 6:01 AM Pacific Time

I had the same problem with the wheels on my traveler car several years ago. I found replacement wheels at West Marine, and they are much smoother working than the Catalina originals. I believe this is the part that I used, but PLEASE check to be sure it will work because I did the mod a long time ago.

http://tinyurl.com/cvsl3s

Craig Burlette
C22 Toujours ete'

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Running Rigging