Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / forestay reinforcement kit

Author forestay reinforcement kit
Matt Gillis
claremore, oklahoma

Boat Name: Stray Dawg

Model/Year: catalina 22/ 1975

Hull No. 5124

Hailing Port: Lake Oologah
02/14/2007 8:50 PM Pacific Time

I just received my kit from CD and there were no instructions with it. Does anyone have any pictures or drawings or written instructions. Help!
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/15/2007 4:13 AM Pacific Time

Matt, have you talked with CD. I got a lift kit without instructions and I asked for them and they were on the east coat in 3 days.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
02/15/2007 6:10 AM Pacific Time

Hi Matt,
This is from the online catalog page for the item:

"Although this item can be retrofitted to an earlier boat, it is a day long project for an experienced shade tree mechanic. Also used on C-22 Sport Our Stem Reinforcement Kit (see below) can be installed in less than an hour and transfers the load of the forestay and heads'l to the hull also. Our Video Projects Volume I includes complete instructions for installing this kit."

If you didn't want to get the Video for this item, I'd check around some of the seasoned owners on Chip Ford's mail Discussion List to see if someone there can help you.
http://www.chipford.com/
This may be a different kit:
http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_11.htm
~Bilbo

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/16/2007 7:30 AM Pacific Time

The upgrade is pretty simple even without the CD video, in fact I fabricated my own parts.

A short article with photos can be found at: www.c22pdx.org

Follow the link to Technical Tips and then look for the "Miscellaneous" catagory near the top of the page. You should find a link to Bow Eye and Stem Fitting Upgrade. If the article isn't helpful enough feel free to email me questions at:

celtic-myst(at)comcast.net << replace the (at) with @ >>

I also have the CD video on their recommended process.
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Boat Name: A Little Class

Model/Year: 2006 Catalina Sport

Hull No. 15637

Hailing Port: Hunington Lake
04/06/2007 12:29 PM Pacific Time

I have the reinforcement kit installed but I don't like the angle brackets. I thinking about buying a replacement tack plate cutting off the keel tang and mouting it up side down. Use some West epoxy with their (406?) bedding compound to help set it . This will allow for a much more positive reinforcement and no flex. Also the turnbuckel can be attached to the center hole distributing the stress to all four bolts

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / forestay reinforcement kit