Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Broke the base of my 1985 mast . . . DARN!!!

Author Broke the base of my 1985 mast . . . DARN!!!
Glenn Hardesty
Winter Haven, FL

Boat Name: Catalina 22

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Henry
03/01/2007 12:18 PM Pacific Time

Tried to step down the mast while the boat was afloat, mast fell off to the port side with the tip in the water. Lucky!? that only step plate and pin were bent. Ordered new ones. BUT!! the bottom of the mast where the bolt goes through broke. i.e. the slot the bolt goes through was wripped open.

MY question: can I remove the bottom one half inch of the mast and drill a new slotted hole for the bolt that holds the mast to the base plate?

Thank you,
Glenn
Richard
Tampa, FL

Boat Name: Whispering Lady

Model/Year: C22 / 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Tampa, FL
03/01/2007 1:07 PM Pacific Time

I see no reason why that will not work. You may have to adjust the length of your standing rigging if you cannot take out the difference with the turnbuckles. How were you taking down the mast?
[email protected]

Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
03/01/2007 2:47 PM Pacific Time

Is it ripped out on both bolt holes or elongated on one and ripped onthe other? Why not have that rip welded? Don't cut it off till you investigate that. It'll work just as well.
KS
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
03/01/2007 4:03 PM Pacific Time

If you do cut off some of the mast, then get a longer bolt and screw and add a spacer (same thickness as amount cut) under the base plate. That way the length of your shrouds should be OK
Jimmy Lotufo
New Jersey

Boat Name: brisey_h

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12275

Hailing Port: Alki Beach
03/05/2007 2:31 PM Pacific Time

Hi Glenn,
I think the same must have happened to Olde Bourbon, the P.O. drilled new holes in the mast but I tdo not think that he did anything to the rigging at least that I can tell. Mast works fine since I have owned the boat. Let us know how you resolve this problem Glenn!
Best
Jimmy

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Broke the base of my 1985 mast . . . DARN!!!