Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Bolt Degredation on 1974 Model

Author Keel Bolt Degredation on 1974 Model
Steve Sayian
Hingham, Mass

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/04/2007 2:57 PM Pacific Time

I just looked at a 1974 C-22 (#K-19) that my son is interested in buying. The boat looks fine with the acceptable amount of wear and tear that a 33 year old boat has.
The question I have is the keel bolts are for the most part all rusted away. The nuts are stainless but the bolts are galvanized (or not) iron, and have worn away). I have a concern about the existing degreadation of the bolts. I also notice an upheaval of fiberglass running the length of the bilge. The boat is North of Boston and not covered with fresh water in the bilge.

Couple questions; can you drop the keel and replace the existing keel bolts. Meaing can the existing bolts be removed from the cast iron keel and replaced w/stainless or do new holes have to be drilled in the keel as well as the bilge keel foot?

Second; the delamination of the top of the bilge where the keel bolts/washers mate. Can/how is this fixed if at all?

I currently own a 1999 C-34 MK II and previously had a C-30 for 10 years. In both cases, the keel bolts are stainless and suffered no wear/rust.

This C-22 otherwise is in decent shape and the price/equipment is very attractive.

Would appreciat any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Steve
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
03/05/2007 3:25 AM Pacific Time

Yes the bolts can be replaced and they should have been ss
The housing for the keel is brass. If you’re going to do this get the upgrade kit from Catalina
To remove the bolts soak them in penetrating oil daily for a good week and then
Slowly try to remove them without breaking them off. If the head breaks you still have a chance at the studs after removing the keel assy.
As to the billage core water soaked. There are several suggestions on this site
I chose to plug drill the inner skin. You will also find that the keel pinhole is elongated this can be sleeved It is definitely a big project that took me all summer to do. I never used the boat the first year I had it.
Try this site: http://www.askbj.com/users/joyful/

Uwe
Kevin Murphy
Carmichael, CA

Boat Name: Booyah!

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No. #2526

Hailing Port: Carmichael, CA
03/08/2007 5:09 PM Pacific Time

I had a real chore with my C22's keel bolts last summer. Here is the thread that shows why it's so important to take of those very inexpensive but very important keel bolts.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/forums/fr_topic.cfm?topic_id=6843

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Bolt Degredation on 1974 Model