Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / midship cleats/spring line

Author midship cleats/spring line
don
eastsound wa

Boat Name: nibblet

Model/Year: 22 / 78

Hull No.

Hailing Port: eastsound wa
03/07/2007 8:34 PM Pacific Time

does anybody have midship cleats for spring lines or if not what do you use? the boat i have is a 1978
thanks
Donald & Lynn Conner
Severn, MD

Boat Name: Meniscus

Model/Year: C-22, 1979

Hull No. 9157

Hailing Port: Middle River, MD
03/08/2007 1:13 AM Pacific Time

Yes, we had them on our 22 and it was a good thing. On our 27, we had adjustable cleats that ran on a track (you could use the already there). We're adding them to the 310.
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
03/13/2007 1:56 AM Pacific Time

I use one of the lifeline stanchions as a spring line "cleat" when I'm at a dock. I replaced "Chip Ahoy's" stanchions a couple of years back, using Catalina Direct's new stainless steel backing plates, so they're as secure as any horn cleat. I tie off the spring line as low to the deck (stanchion base) as possible. See:

http://chipford.com/cape_cod_06/060802_scit01.jpg

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
don
eastsound wa

Boat Name: nibblet

Model/Year: 22 / 78

Hull No.

Hailing Port: eastsound wa
03/14/2007 10:02 PM Pacific Time

Thanks everybody that has passed on there info, yes i do have the backing plates under my stanchions and the rail mount cleats are way out of the question @100.00 each side. i was thinking of using a folding pad eye.to lessen the trip factor the only question i have for you chip is the stanchions strong enough to take that kind of load as long as i keep it low?

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / midship cleats/spring line