Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Battery Charger

Author Battery Charger
Mark Dauphinais
Harvest, AL

Boat Name: SoJourner

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14412

Hailing Port: Rogersville, AL
02/19/2004 9:52 AM Pacific Time

I am planning to participate in the North Gulf Coast Cruise this year and would like to know what type of battery chargers cruisers are using. Should I go with a solar panel and shore power set? Will a solar panel handle the week long cruise? I don't have a lot of boat units to invest (jsut bought a new Main).
Thanks
RJ Tazelaar
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Gecko

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. 12180

Hailing Port: Percy Priest Yacht Club
02/19/2004 10:48 AM Pacific Time

Mark,

You may not need to recharge, depending how much juice you use during the week. I use 2 batteries, and the times I've cruised for a week... I've never been able to drain both batteries.

If I had to choose a method for recharging on the NGCC, I would use one of those solar chargers that you can unroll and place on the deck or on the bimini top. You won't be near shore power long enough to recharge with any other kind of charger.

Hope this helps. RJ
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
12/07/2010 11:01 AM Pacific Time

I have 2 group size 27 marine batteries on the boat. They fit in a box under the keel winch (or is that wench--I get them confused) in place of the cooler.
I have been on several NGCC cruises and several other week long cruises and usually only use 1 of the batteries. I have a roll up solar charger but keep forgetting to take it. Others on the cruise have 1 group 24 and solar charger and seem to have enough power for the week.
Cathy Proses
Oak Harbor, WA

Boat Name: Cathy Proses

Model/Year: Catalina 36 /1991

Hull No. 1109

Hailing Port: Oak Harbor
12/12/2010 7:17 PM Pacific Time

I made the most increditable change to my Cat.22 Sport ! I relocated the battery and added an additional battery in forward Vee Berth storage. They fit ! however I had to fill in the Vee of the hull to be able to epoxy the CD battery trays in place. I then added a (2) battery disconnect switch mounted to a vertically mounted marine plywood ( from the hull up to the hatch cover opening). I then ran 1 inch non-metalic flex (epoxied high in the storage areas) to the panel. I puchased a Battery Charger that is designed to charge (2) batteries based on independent needs . It has a six foot cord and is mounted mid-ship port side storage, with easy access to the cord. By removing 50 plus pounds from aft mid-ship and putting 120 lbs forward the boat is a dream to handle ( I weigh 225lbs) This change made ocean sailing much more balanced. I also added a power outlet to charge radios ect.
Cathy Proses
Oak Harbor, WA

Boat Name: Cathy Proses

Model/Year: Catalina 36 /1991

Hull No. 1109

Hailing Port: Oak Harbor
12/12/2010 7:17 PM Pacific Time

I made the most increditable change to my Cat.22 Sport ! I relocated the battery and added an additional battery in forward Vee Berth storage. They fit ! however I had to fill in the Vee of the hull to be able to epoxy the CD battery trays in place. I then added a (2) battery disconnect switch mounted to a vertically mounted marine plywood ( from the hull up to the hatch cover opening). I then ran 1 inch non-metalic flex (epoxied high in the storage areas) to the panel. I puchased a Battery Charger that is designed to charge (2) batteries based on independent needs . It has a six foot cord and is mounted mid-ship port side storage, with easy access to the cord. By removing 50 plus pounds from aft mid-ship and putting 120 lbs forward the boat is a dream to handle ( I weigh 225lbs) This change made ocean sailing much more balanced. I also added a power outlet to charge radios ect.
Ted McGee
Cumming

Boat Name: GA

Model/Year: MKII/1996

Hull No. 15370

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
12/13/2010 4:57 AM Pacific Time

This is simply an echo of what Robert said. We have made several of the Northern Gulf Coast cruises. We also take week long cruises in October. We have carried a Group 24, deep cycle 75 AH battery on every one of them. We run a depth sounder/knot meter, and VHF radio. Our typical scenario is to turn the VHF fixed mount on, but for the most part talk on our handheld unless we really need to reach out. Then we will broadcast on the fixed mount. At night, of course, we have lights. The anchor light runs all night. We use a Siemens SM10 solar charger. This little charger only puts out 0.6 amp. So it is a trickle charge at best. The first few years of cruising our anchor light was an incandescent bulb which drew 1 amp. So roughly 8 amps each night. That was quite a bit. But, at the end of our cruise we still had battery left.

Recently we have upgraded our anchor light to LED, which now draws 0.1 amp. So for all night use it draws less than an amp. Now when we get back from a week long cruise we still pretty much have a full battery.

The 75 AH battery has been sufficient for us all these years and cruises.

I have started making a couple of modifications lately. It was getting close to time to buy a new battery. It turns out Trojan makes a group 24 deep cycle that is 100 AH. Thought I would give that a try. I also thought it would be worthwhile to add a charging kit on my Honda 5. Don't know why as my small 10 watt solar panel has worked for years, but why not. I installed the charging kit this weekend so when it gets warmer I will try it out and see how it works.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Battery Charger