Swing Keel Replacement

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / swing keel

Author swing keel
Waleed Almulla
Portland, oregon

Boat Name: Catalina 22

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/11/2007 6:33 PM Pacific Time

I bought a 1973 cat 22 recently. I sailed it 3 times so far. Lots of fun. I am not an experienced sailer. So this boat is my first salining experience. I have a simple question, how do I know for sure that the swing keel is actually down as I sail? I kind of get scared when the boat heels and question whether the keel is down or not. I beleive it is down and everything is right. just want to make sure.

Let me know.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
03/13/2007 6:11 AM Pacific Time

Well,
Here's one way.
If the boat is moving the cable on the keel winch will start humming.
If the keel is down all the way and you winch the cable out a bit more, the cable will go slack and the hum will stop. No harm in that as long as the cable doesn't get out of place and jammed on the winch drum. Some like to hear the cable hum. It's an indication of how fast you are going. The higher and louder pitch means faster. Some don't like the noise and they make the cable go loose.

It is a good idea to count the number of winches that It takes to winch it up all the way. That way you don't winch the cable in too tight and damage something.
As an example, I know that my winch takes about 27 turns (yours may be totally different) to raise or lower it all the way. When I winch up the keel to about 24 turns, I slow down from then on.
Also, when you winch it down you will also know about where you are with that.

If you have just bought a used boat, I'd check the keel cable and all that eqipment to make sure everything is working properly.

Swing Keel Replacement
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / swing keel