Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Deck Stains from Fallen leaves

Author Deck Stains from Fallen leaves
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
02/19/2004 10:41 AM Pacific Time

Last fall I moved the boat to a new home, in the fall I had a lot of leaves fall on top of the boat. I did not remove them right away and they stained my decks, any suggestions for removing the stains?

Thanks

G. Frank Nin
"Hola!" 15465
RJ Tazelaar
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Gecko

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. 12180

Hailing Port: Percy Priest Yacht Club
02/19/2004 11:14 AM Pacific Time

Soft Scrub should remove the stain. It does a good job on my boat.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/19/2004 1:21 PM Pacific Time

Frank............

I know that you live just up the road in ...Grass Valley.... did you move the boat to Folsom Lake?? Or somewhere else??
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Hull No. 15464

02/20/2004 5:16 AM Pacific Time

No Ken, I moved from ex-wife's house to new (to me) house. Divorce you know... I’m still in the same town. My boat was actually kept in storage and the new place has enough land to park the boat in it so now I’m one of those lucky people who gets to keep the boat at home during the off season.

What I’m talking about it’s more like a stain and look rather nasty, not dirt that can be scrubbed off. Still, I’ll give soft scrub a try and let you know.

Thanks!

G. Frank Nin
hull #15464 "Hola!"
Grass Valley, CA
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
02/21/2004 8:24 AM Pacific Time

I keep Oxy clean on my boat but bleach & water will clean just about anything just as well. Just wear old cloths.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/23/2004 4:39 PM Pacific Time

I second the motin on bleach. I had dark tanin stains on Jagged Edge from a large oak tree over the driveway. I tried FSR, Soft Scrub, Oxy Clean and other assorted cleaning products. Although the stains were faded, they were still there. I got the Clorox and scrubbed it on full strength with a Black and Decker Scum Buster (a portable battery powered rotary scrubber). My '78 deck hadn't been that white since it was new.
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Hull No. 15464

02/24/2004 11:15 AM Pacific Time

Clorox… sounds great! I have forgotten about this but a long time ago I saw a guy with a pressurized pesticide sprayer spraying the bottom of his boat just after retrieving it from the water and the yellow muck attached to the bottom almost instantly turned white. It appeared to vanish before my eyes… In disbelief I asked him what was he was using and he told me he was using just plain Clorox... Thanks! - Frank

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Deck Stains from Fallen leaves