Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Can I change the swing keel cable while the boat is in the water?

Author Can I change the swing keel cable while the boat is in the water?
JC
SW Florida

Boat Name: YOLO

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2421

Hailing Port: SW Florida
04/09/2007 2:09 PM Pacific Time

Anyone ever done this.. I am anchored / moored in about 3 to 4 feet of crystal clear S Florida water. This cable is bad... Bald and meat hooks everywhere.. small thin areas.. She's ready to break within the next week or two.. Also, can I change out the rubber hose real quickly? I ask, because I don't have a trailer. If anyone in Florida has a trailer I could use for an hour or two - GREAT!
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
05/06/2007 2:47 PM Pacific Time

JC,
You can change the cable underwater in about 4 ft of water if you can hold your breath. Lower the keel onto the bottom. It is generally pinned and fastened with a clevis /cotter pin. You'd need a pair of plyers and the ability to hold your breath for several seconds while you work.

As for changing the volcano. Here are some ideas that I've never tried.
This may be done if you can raise the boat some because the bottom of the volcano is underwater. I'm not exactly sure of the waterline location but you may be able to determine the waterline from looking down the volcano hose with a flashlight. Maybe you'd need a mirror. If it's too low, maybe some sort of flotation underneath and removing some of the excess weight. Maybe try to position a large inflatable underneath to float the boat higher. Remove the motor, battery, fuel tank, storage tank for any water or the porta-potty, rudder.
Another thing to try is get the boat in calm shallow waters and lower the keel to get the boat floating higher or partially beach the boat in the stern where this volcano hose is located. A boat can't sink very well if it's beached. If you go diving, to change the cable, you may try temporarily stuffing a rag into the volcano hole underneath to slow the water as you change out the hose. You'd have to remove that rag later.
JC
SW Florida

Boat Name: YOLO

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2421

Hailing Port: SW Florida
05/08/2007 2:35 PM Pacific Time

Bilbao, thanks for responding. I was going to use my utility trailer. Back down on the beach to the shoreline and in the water. Float just the stern on about a foot or two and then bring her forward up the beach a few feet. Try to picture, 3/4 of boat in water and 1/4 up on the trailer. Bow snugged into the sand, and stern up on the utility trailer.. Dig out the sand and get under there to make the install.. Of course, I need a high tide, and a calm sea. Problem is, I wish I knew what sort of cable and fastening set up I had and needed so I could have that at the ready and ready to go for an install. I need the size and length of the cable too. The older Catalina 22's have a different set-up down there from what I have read. Thanks again.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
05/08/2007 6:41 PM Pacific Time

JC, there may be a difference as you suggest.
I would call catalina direct on this to be sure.
Or even write to David:
david(AT)torrisi.org
These are difficult to see but David Torrisi's 1975 boat:
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/Keel-Project?page=1
it liike as if there's a linkage still attached to the keel.
I'd ask him about this. I think that there are some mods to some boats that people have done that aren't exactly stock.

Tide? you may be able to bring the boat stern up to near the shore during high tide and then place a support like a wide A frame or just a height of lumber underneath and let the tide go out. Changing out the hose takes about 4 minutes if the cable isn't connected.

On these parts Catalina Direct should have excellent quality hose, hose clamps and the right equipment to change out the cable. Once those are in your hands, you should be able to see how it's done.

If you see their catalog:
Keel Cable C-22
Product #: D1190
They say that this cable is used for all C-22s and sport 22s.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Can I change the swing keel cable while the boat is in the water?