Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Looking at purchasing a C22, can you mix and match rigs?

Author Looking at purchasing a C22, can you mix and match rigs?
Branin Thorn
Florence, SC

Boat Name: AARRGH

Model/Year: 2007

Hull No. 15676

Hailing Port: New Bern
04/09/2007 6:38 PM Pacific Time

I am restricted to purchasing a swing keel, but like to option of having a spiniker. What are my options? I am looking at the sport, for light racing and crusing. I have a strong racing backround, but haven't raced competitive in a long time.
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
04/10/2007 4:59 PM Pacific Time

Branin-

Any Catalina 22 is eligible to race in the Class as long as the boat meets the Class One Design Rules located at http://www.catalina22.org/ClassRules/classrules.htm

The Class mostly races Main and Genoa. Some Class regattas also include a Spinnaker fleet with a separate start, but most often not "mixed" with the Main/Genoa fleet.

Rich Fox

Lucas, TX

Boat Name: Hummingbird

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1110

Hailing Port: Lake Levon, TX
04/10/2007 5:53 PM Pacific Time

Branin,

No problem racing both Spinnaker and Genoa with the same boat. There are a number of us in the class who actually prefer to race spinnaker.

At the C22 Nationals the class sponsors both Genoa and Spinnaker classes. The schedule is arranged so that it is possible to race in both fleets with the same boat and crew.

Depending where you are in the country there are fleets that race with spinnakers. Texas has a strong spinnaker fleet and long with Florida. You can also race in your local PHRF fleet to get some practice racing with a spinnaker.

Good Sailing,

Pete Harper

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Looking at purchasing a C22, can you mix and match rigs?