Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Speed Log Transducer Location

Author Speed Log Transducer Location
Russ Hauser
Tavares, FL

Boat Name: Serenity Now!

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. CTYH1337M82L

Hailing Port: Lake Harris
04/25/2007 10:00 PM Pacific Time

I'm thinking I'll place it in the storage locker below the "V" birth just off the centerline forward of the bulkhead. The depth transducer will be on the centerline against the bulkhead in a "wax ring." Problem is, the speed transducer flange is flat and will not fit nice and flush with the hull because the hull is rounded in this area. Is there a better place for it? The instructions (Raymarine ST40) call for it to be placed ahead of the keel on or just off the centerline.
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
04/26/2007 5:48 AM Pacific Time

Russ,

I have my transducer in the locker up front as you are suggesting, and most of the time it works fine. However, if you get a lot of wave action where the bow comes out of the water, the depth sounder will stop working and you will be "blind" until you reset it. You may want to consider an area aft. I will be moving mine.

Bob

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Speed Log Transducer Location