Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / 1987 Sink Connection

Author 1987 Sink Connection
James
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: "C" Student

Model/Year: 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Stamford
05/02/2007 10:38 AM Pacific Time

Hi,

I have a 1987 C22. It has a built in sink in the cabin, and a freshwater tank that is stored below the v-berth. Can anyone inform me of how to connect these two things so I can actually use the sink. Also, can anyone tell me where the sink will drain into? Thanks for the help.
Robert
Melbourne, Australia

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1987 Swing keel

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Gippsland Lakes
02/01/2008 3:06 AM Pacific Time

Hi James, I'm new to this forum and on the other side of the world! However, I purchased my first boat mid last year. A 1987 C22! I'm very happy with it.

I had a few disasters the first time we sailed but this January (our summer) my wife and I had a wonderful time on the Gippsland Lakes. Soon after I bought the boat I tried the pump after filling the water bottle. Green sludgy water came out! On a closer inspection I found that water had lain in the pipe for some time and had grown algae. The pipe was also very dirty.

I bought 3 metres of new plastice pipe. Not sure of the diameter, 13mm I think. (I took the old one in with me to the hardware store.)

Fitting the new pipe was a little tricky. I fed it in to the water container and then through a hole and down the port side. You can access this through the port locker under the V berth right near the sink bulkhead.

Then I went in through the locker under the forward port seat and pulled the pipe through. The tricky bit was connecting it to the pump (tap). Because it has a worm clamp that was bigger than the hole the pump fits in to I had to contort my wrist to tighten the screw. After ten or so minutes, with a few rests, I worked the pipe on to the pump and tightened the worm clamp. Then I screwed the pump back in to place on the sink.

Works a treat!

Hope this helps. However, I suspect you've already fixed the problem.
Robert
Melbourne, Australia

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1987 Swing keel

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Gippsland Lakes
02/01/2008 3:07 AM Pacific Time

Woops, forget the second question. I'm not wholly positive but I'm pretty sure the sink drains through the keel casing.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
02/03/2008 10:14 AM Pacific Time

The sink drains through a thru-hull fitting with attached on/off valve. You can access it through the forward port seat.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / 1987 Sink Connection