Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?

Author Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
05/11/2007 5:29 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone advise me on whether it's safe to moor a drop-keel C-22 for any length of time in salt water? We're finding the launch and recovery process a bit stressful from our local ramp (which is very busy), and are thinking of mooring it locally.

I imagine that the main issues are protecting the hull from marine growth and water damage (osmosis etc.), and keeping the keel and keel cable in good condition.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Can you recommend a hull paint or anti-fouling product and a method of inspecting the keel and cable?

Thanks for any input!

John Wheeler
Serene II - Boomaroo 22 (Australian C-22)
Sydney, Australia
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
05/29/2007 2:21 AM Pacific Time

See my reply under "Mooring/Docking". Cheers.
Lydie Baillie
Alicante, Spain (Displaced Seattlite)

Boat Name: D'Artagnan

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 6022

Hailing Port: Brest, France
07/31/2008 10:37 AM Pacific Time

We have experience in mooring our boat at the dock in salt water for about 7 years. The C22 handbook advise to keep the keel winched up and the cable painted to avoid problems.
Issues occur when sea creature latch onto that cable and you can no longer winch in up. From there on corrosive will eventually eat away the cable until it breaks and leave the keel swinging from it's bolt. That's unfortunately what happened to our C22. Locals replaced the cable as best they knew.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?