Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Loose fore and back stay

Author Loose fore and back stay

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/27/2007 9:43 AM Pacific Time

After putting the boat in the water and making tight the side stays, I'm unable to get enough tension in the fore and back stay. Last year, I cut down the turnbuckle screws on the forestay (with roller) and am as tight as it goes. Now am up against the limit on the back stay and not even reading 5 on my Loos Model A gauge. Is it time to buy new fore and back stays, or is there a trick to getting a few more inches? Thanks...

Cecret Season - 1977 C22
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
05/27/2009 9:24 AM Pacific Time

Just humble opinions. I take it the back stay in non-adjustable. If the standing rigging is old 10+ years it may be time to upgrade. You couild make the backstay adjustable by shortening and swaging a loop on the end and ordering the blocks to attach to stern. Or you could add a 1" block under the mast step to compensate for any compression (cheapest way out). This is legal for racing.
I just ordered and installed a complete back stay system and it works fine. You need to measure the forestay and make sure it is not to long or the mast will have to much rake. If the deck ends of the stays are loops instead of 1/4 threaded swage then you might want to upgrade the whole system (as funds allow) . Have a local c22 fleet member look at the rig for more ideas.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/28/2009 5:18 AM Pacific Time

One thing that you can do if you do not want to make the backstay adjustable, is to put a1" block, prevably aluminum, under the mast step.
Al Ge
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
05/28/2009 6:41 AM Pacific Time

If you add a one inch block of some sort under the mast, remember... you will need to lengthen the side stays -- make sure you have enough available in all six side stays to let them out an inch, or more. The easiest solution is probalby an adjustable backstay -- but if the headstay is longer than it needs to be, you will not be comfortable sailing to weather, as you will end up using all your strength and energy fighting weather helm in the tiller. Ron
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
05/28/2009 9:23 AM Pacific Time

Oh - one more thought. I once saw a C-22 that had a "split" backstay, and someone had taken the "adjustable backstay hardware" off of it. This could cause it to appear that the headstay and backstay are longer than they should be. Would be great if we could see a picture of how your backstay connects to the hull. Ron

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Loose fore and back stay