Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / How do you flush the motor when cruising or slipped/moored?

Author How do you flush the motor when cruising or slipped/moored?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
05/28/2007 6:06 AM Pacific Time

I am about to moor (slip) my C22 long-term in salt water, and I wondering how to go about flushing the outboard motor without taking it ashore.

I've been told to flush it out with clean water after every outing , which I normally do by putting the motor in a large bucket and running it until the residual fuel runs out.

Once the boat is on the mooring, it won't be practical to take the motor ashore every time I go sailing, so I was wondering how people flush the motor without taking it off the boat.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

John Wheeler
Sydney, Australia
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
05/29/2007 2:16 AM Pacific Time

This is one reason I spend the money for a slip vice a mooring. Instead of taking the motor to a bucket of fresh water, perhaps you can take the bucket to the motor??? Get a large tub, will it enough water to cover the motor's inlet port, but not so much you can't lift or float it out to the mooring.

Otherwise, I imagine you can rig up some kind of tank to the flushing port, but any and all ideas involve hauling a bit of fresh water (weight) out to the mooring.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / How do you flush the motor when cruising or slipped/moored?