Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leaky scupper

Author Leaky scupper
Brian
New Fairfield, CT

Boat Name: lynne

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1988

Hull No.

Hailing Port: New Fairfield, CT
06/07/2007 9:53 AM Pacific Time

Hello, I have a leaky port-side scupper in the transom of my 1988 Catalina 22. Some of the rain water trying to drain out the scupper, actually flows into the battery compartment. What is the best method to seal? Do I first need to pull the scupper out? If so, how is the fitting designed inside so I know how to extract it?
Your views appreciated.
Brian
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/07/2007 6:17 PM Pacific Time

Hi Brian,
Here you can see how they are done:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=536

The problem is that the tube is placed through the hole and the end is flared for a tight fit.

I think that it may be good to try and seal with something before replacing since the kit isn't very cheap.

sealing may probably be reached from the inside of the battery compartment or from the cockpit.

Brian
New Fairfield, CT

Hull No.

06/09/2007 7:11 PM Pacific Time

Bilbo, thank you for the suggestion and the link to the image. On the outside, my scuppers have flanges on both ends, so I can't seem to slide out (or maybe I am being too cautious). If the are one piece like the image suggests, I'm at a loss to see how the went in, in the first place. I am also unable to get access from the cavity as the scupper actually goes through a block of wood (I can feel the water dripping from the bottom of this).
More thoughts?
Brian
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

06/21/2007 10:00 AM Pacific Time

Sorry to be slow to respond. we wer on a vacation.

The transom scuppers are press fit with a tool that expands a flange around the lip.
If you are willing to spend some, you can get the CD scupper kit that has the correct tools. You should remember that you are renting the tools with that price. Maybe they can make an arrangement because you wouldn't need a hole saw blade. But I'd be tempted to use some sort of dremel tool or small grinder to remove the old one and replace with something else. You may be able to go cheap and get something in a scupper from another source. There are ones that stores sell that have flaps to prevent water from going in but let the water out very well.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

06/21/2007 10:03 AM Pacific Time

Another idea is to seal the scupper. It is probably leaking around the cockpit side where a small amount of water can lay. Maybe a careful drop or two of crazy glue inside the boat on the top side of the scupper fitting would come down the sides to the bottom and seal things up pretty much.
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
06/22/2007 1:58 PM Pacific Time

I like the transom drain kit. Looks the way Catalina SHOULD have design the scuppers instead of the over-engineered twin-drain-into-the-y-fitting-and-seacock-before-the-through-hull system we have. I guess it's called job security for some designer.

Anyhoo, I would love to install that transom drain kit and remove/seal off the existing scupper (simplify the boat), but my cockpit drains forward, so even with the transom drain kit, I would still have an inch or two of water below the companion way after a rain or wash down. Other than hanging a few concrete blocks off the stern rail, is there another way to address this???
Brian
New Fairfield, CT

Hull No.

07/07/2007 6:53 AM Pacific Time

Bilbo, thanks for the additional suggestion. I just tried the sealent. It has been dry here for about 10 days and then 4 days of pouring rain. It head up. Not the most elegant, solution, but simple and worked.

Mitch, on the cockpit draining forward, I've had a few friends with this problem. They all turned out to be boat balance. Mostly too much loading in lockers under v-berth. In one case added to because they prefered to sail without a motor, so shifted more balance to the front. Hope this helps for starters.
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/09/2007 10:13 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I can get my cockpit level, much less tilted back. It sits pretty darn level in the water as is, and that's with an outboard and fuel tank way in the back. I doubt moving the anchor will do any good but I'll check under the v-berth again in case the previous owner left a few gold bars in there. ;-)

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leaky scupper