Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Very new, possibly stupid question.

Author Very new, possibly stupid question.
Jeff Fongmie
Freedom, NH

Boat Name: Surprise

Model/Year: 22 1986

Hull No. ???

Hailing Port: NH
06/10/2007 4:13 PM Pacific Time

Hi everyone, I just bought a c22..moved up from a hobie cat.

I'm trying to figure out all the rigging. At the top of my past, on the same spindle as the back-stay is a nicely eye-spliced line that's probably 30 feet in length. It looks to be there for a reason, but for the life of me I can't tell what it does? It's not the back stay.

I'm going to remove it, unless I hear that it actually does something.

Thanks,

Jeff
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
06/10/2007 8:50 PM Pacific Time

It's the topping lift; holds the boom up when the main is not.
Jeff Fongmie
Freedom, NH

Boat Name: Surprise

Model/Year: 22 1986

Hull No. ???

Hailing Port: NH
06/11/2007 5:42 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Paul.

I've also got a little pigtail hanging from my backstay with a little clip on it. I figured that was to hold the boom when mainsail is down?
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
06/11/2007 7:06 AM Pacific Time

I have the little pigtail as well. I only use it when I'm rigging the boat on the trailer before launch.
Chris Coombs
Deerfield NH

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: '74 Catalina 22

Hull No. 2313

Hailing Port: Deerfield NH
09/12/2007 6:44 PM Pacific Time

Jeff,
The topping lift has that cable, and you should have a short section of line with a block, which attaches to the loose eye in the cable. The line threads through the block from a clip at the back end of the boom, and tehn comes down to the boom again to a pulley and cleat to set it at the height you want.
The topping lift keeps the boom out of head-harm level when the sail is not on, but allows the boom to swing, which the short cable and clip do not. You can get more info on line at CatalinaDirect. It is featured there.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Very new, possibly stupid question.