Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Moving to Texas...HELP

Author Moving to Texas...HELP
Aaron Budzinski
Toledo, Ohio

Boat Name: Albondiga

Model/Year: 1972 catalina 22

Hull No. 1300

Hailing Port: Ottawa River
07/05/2007 11:45 AM Pacific Time

I'm moving to the galveston bay area, and having a bit of trouble deciding what to do. I'm not sure if i should pull me boat all the way down there, or sell it and try to find another one when i get ther. Also, Does anyone have any advice on where to keep it? My significant other got a job with the pasadena school system, and she's gonna be heading down soon. I'll be down there in late august. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-aaron
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/05/2007 12:40 PM Pacific Time

Hey Aaron,

I don't know much about Texas since I only lived there 5 months (Corpus Christi), but I'm rather certain Texas lax requires you to sell your sailing vessel and purchase a bass boat... with a 225 hp outboard minimum. ;-)

Seriously, I just happen to have a few old charts of the Galveston area. I bought them on e-Bay because they were inexpensive and I just absolutely love nautical charts (much as an art connoisseur would appreciate a Picasso or Renoir). Ok, I'm weird.

Anyways, I saw in another post, you had a question about Clear Lake's access to Galveston Bay. Looking here at Chart 152-SC, it depicts Clear Lake connecting to Galveston Bay via Clear Creek. Clear Lake itself is shallow, averaging about 3 feet at MLW. There is a 6' deep channel (60' wide) running through the lake increasing to 7' in the creek itself. Bascule Bridge crosses the creek. The bridge has 41' of vertical clearance, but there is also a railroad bridge just to the west that only has 6' of vertical clearance. Not to worry, however, as the chart says it's a swing bridge and normally left open.

As much as I love owning these charts, they unfortunately spend most of their time in my closet as I simply don't "need" to refer to them for my own sailing. If you're interested in buying them from me, I would reluctantly part with them for a fair price. These are NOAA charts from 1972. They are in perfect condition and each come in there own little protective jacket with communication, navigation, and marina information printed (out of date I'm sure, but interesting none-the-less). Here is what I have:

152-SC (1:80,000) - Overview of Galveston Bay and East Bay. Clear Lake inset is 1:25,000

518-SC (1:25,000) - Entrance to Galveston Bay

892-SC (1:40,000) - Aransas Bay (to the south near Corpus Christi)

885-SC (1:40,000) - Intercoastal Waterway, Galveston to Ellender, LA

I also have:

880-SC, 881-SC, and 883-SC which cover the ICW in Louisiana from Lake Charles to Baton Rouge and the southern portion of Atchafalaya River. Basically, you can, using these charts, sail from Galvestion Bay all the way to Port Allen (near Baton Rouge) along the ICW.

Like I mentioned, all the charts are in practically mint condition. Neatly folded and creased and protected by a heavy card stock jacket. I can take a photo (with close-ups) if you're interested in these charts. Remember, they are old (printed 1972) and a lot may have changed. I just wish I had a set of these for SoCal.
Aaron Budzinski
Toledo, Ohio

Boat Name: Albondiga

Model/Year: 1972 catalina 22

Hull No. 1300

Hailing Port: Ottawa River
07/05/2007 1:38 PM Pacific Time

Hey thanks so much for the info and the response. I appreciate the offer for the charts, but if I'm gonna buy something, its got to be more updated. I can't trust something thats 35 years old. Also, My sister works for west marine, and the discount in incredible. I do appreciate the time you took though, thankyou.
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/05/2007 11:47 PM Pacific Time

No problem. The charts are so old it wouldn't be worth the time to update them. I can just hear the phone call to NOAA, "You need updates going back HOW FAR!?!?!?" ;-)

Their real value is more artistic. They're just beautiful to look at. That's why I bought them in the first place. Thanks for the info regarding the West Marine employee discount. Time for me to make some new friends.

Good luck on the move to Texas. You may need to learn the following terms:

Abeam - A large straight piece of steel or wood
Air - 60 minutes, "We goin' 10 miles per air"
Anchor - To make mad, "Don't chu anchor dat dawg"
Athwart - To be certain of, "Athwart dis was da right place"
Awl - Engine lubricant
Bacon - A navigation light
Batten - Receiving teeth marks, "I got batten by a sea snake"
Bay - The second letter of the alphabet
Boot Top - The part you stick yer foot in
Bunk - Phony story
Chafe - Highest ranking Indian
Dock - A medical professional
Far - Combustion, usually hazardous, "The boat's on far!"
Fiddle - To manipulate or tinker with
Fix - The act of preparing, as in "I'm fixin' to raise sail"
Hail - When a sailboat tips to one side
Lay - Away from the wind
Mizzen - Not where it's supposed to be
Mooring - First part of the day
Over Yonder - Off the port/starboard bow/beam/quarter
Pear - A wooden structure extending out to see for fishing
Sail - A marine mammal of the pinniped family
Shave - The round part of a pulley
Sole - To have transferred title, "I sole him mah boat"
Tiller - To inform a female acquaintance, "Tiller I said howdy"
Wake - 7 days
Whale - Used to turn the boat
Wench - A mechanical device for pulling lines
Yawl - Reference in the second-person, "Yawl wanna go sailin'?"

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Moving to Texas...HELP