Safety

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / To Maintain or Not

Author To Maintain or Not
jody
Meridianville Al

Boat Name: Monkey Toes

Model/Year: 22 1979

Hull No. 8917

Hailing Port: Meridianville AL
07/31/2007 1:31 PM Pacific Time

hi,

I just purchased a '79 Catalina 22 which had been 'abandoned/ forgotten' for the past 7 years. The previous owner last had it in the water in 2001. It appears to have no maintenance in the last few years before it was 'stored'. The boat has been exposed to the elements uncovered since at least 2001. The sails were stored inside the cabin and appear in good condition. I have 10 years experience with a Hobie 16. The standing rigging appears sound, no rust, no kinks, bends, etc. the keel cable appears the same, the keel bolt (can't see it).

(tmi ?) I repacked the trailer bearings after I bought the boat, they were full of water, appeared worn and needed to be replaced. Based upon my experience with trailering a Hobie 16, I decided they could make it one last trip before I replaced them. One of the hubs exploded less than 100 miles from the previous owner's home destroying the trailer hub, maybe destroying the spindle. My bad judgement!

This trailer grease issue causes me to question my judgement. All of my experience is with much lighter boats, I have almost no experience with a boat this big and heavy. I think this boat needs at least, for me to feel safe new: Complete standing rigging, Zincs, Keel pivot pin, Keel cable, Lines.

I have new boat fever and am thinking a one day sail on a local lake would be relatively safe. Damage if any would not be life threatening but would be limited to expensive damage. Bad Judgement?

My questions: Does the boat really need these repairs, what order should I prioritize them and am I missing anything else that should be replaced? Am I risking my crew's life taking the boat out once this year before tearing into her and completing this maintenance over the winter?

Thanks for your feedback, jody
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
08/13/2007 12:59 AM Pacific Time

If you're routinely trailering the boat, I would want to make sure my keel cable and winch were in excellent condition. You wouldn't want the keel to fall while raising it up as that could cause catastrophic damage to the hull. The keel pin would be next on my list, followed by standing and running rigging. I haven't owned my Catalina nearly enough to base this on experience, I just feel more uneasy with things that aren't in sight vice things I can see every day.

Safety
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / To Maintain or Not