Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Damage to mast attach point

Author Damage to mast attach point
Joe Dion
Seattle WA

Boat Name: Liberty

Model/Year: C22 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/05/2007 9:37 PM Pacific Time

Not sure of the official name of the location, however, there is a hole through the mast where a pin goes through it attaches to the mast step. On lowering the mast, it got away from us and ripped out on of the holes. Looking for a repair, hopefully without having to replace the entire mast. Is it possible to insert a sleeve into the mast to reinforces. What other solutions might there be?
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/09/2008 10:02 PM Pacific Time

Hi Joe - I just bought my boat and the mast was damaged the same way. One side is ripped through and the other is stretched a bit. I've heard others talk about cutting the mast down and drilling new holes, but I elected to have a boat yard weld the damage. I felt better when the guy I spoke to hear in Plymouth sounded very familiar with this problem. He mentioned adding material and beefing them up would make it stronger than before. I'm dropping it off tomorrow, so I'll know in a few days!
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
08/10/2008 10:58 AM Pacific Time

On our boat with similar damage, I cut off 2 inches and bored new holes. I then placed the mast step on a new 2 inch varnished wooden base which looks quite nice. This added elevation allows you to lower the mast farther without hitting the hatch. As I recall, this block is not allowed by racing rules, however. Not a problem for me.
Eric Sachau
Tulsa, OK

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/11/2008 6:23 AM Pacific Time

I purchased my boat with the same damage. my local welding shop closed the torn holes for $25 and I've not had another problem since.
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/31/2008 12:52 PM Pacific Time

The welding job my local boat yard did was amazing - not only are the holes perfect from the outside - he reinforced the inside of the mast base with thick metal plates where the pin travels through. Its beefy as hell compared to the original. All for $100.00 - well worth it!!

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Damage to mast attach point