Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / How do I attach the downhaul (cunningham) ?

Author How do I attach the downhaul (cunningham) ?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
09/09/2007 10:51 PM Pacific Time

My used C22 came with vang and downhaul tackle, but I haven't been able to work out how to attach the downhaul.

It's clear that one end of the downhaul is connected to a metal hoop attached at the foot of the mast, but where does the other end go? On some boats, the downhaul is connected to a cringle close to the tack of the mainsail, but I don't seem to have one. The first reef cringle is too high up, and it would be needed to reef the sail, so this can't be the right place.

I've have seen someone mention connecting it to the boom gooseneck, but in my boat the boom is supported by a sliding support that runs along the mast track, and is fixed in place by tightening a wingnut. Attaching the downhaul here would simply apply download pressure on this fitting, without pulling the boom or the sail down.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

John Wheeler
Sydney, Australia.

Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
09/10/2007 7:09 PM Pacific Time

http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/news/rpts/200601/200601.htm#Cunningham

The above link has some really good shots of how to rig up a cunningham (I rigged mine very similar to this) and the boom downhaul.

Paul

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / How do I attach the downhaul (cunningham) ?