Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Advice on Retractable Keel removal and repair?

Author Advice on Retractable Keel removal and repair?
Chris Coombs
Deerfield NH

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: '74 Catalina 22

Hull No. 2313

Hailing Port: Deerfield NH
09/26/2007 10:19 AM Pacific Time

My Catalina keel has a "worm-hole" worn into the cast iron, probably from a lot of trailering. Gotta get it out and repair that, and thought I would use the new SS sleeve that CD sells. So I have a new pin and a new sleeve, and I am guessing I am going to have to relieve some space in the keel to slide the sleeve into place. Then fill the worm hole with epoxy, clean up the blisters, fill them in and get her slick, then finish and reinstall.
The bolts that hold the pivot block are inset and it isn't clear to me how I get a wrench around them. Are they supposed to be inset? Is it just overpaint that I need to clear out?
Does anyone have a cc of the video CD put out on how to build a sled to handle the keel for this?
Anyone have advise and pics to share?
Thanks
Chris Coombs
Second Wind
Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Boat Name: Zephyr

Model/Year: 22' swing, 1973

Hull No. 2241

Hailing Port: Fairhaven, MA
10/18/2007 2:17 AM Pacific Time

Hi Chris,

I am also in the process of changing the keel pin in my boat. I was worried about the bolts as well, but found the standard thin 1/2' socket (long one) was able to fit in with just a little coaxing. I had sprayed the bolts with PB penetrating fluid for a few days ahead of time and they came right out. I was hoping the keel would drop down enough so I don’t have to try and jack the boat up, but that’s not currently the case. I am going to remove the keel holder on the trailer and hope that gives me the clearance needed.

I am not sure what you mean by a worm hole, are you looking at where the keel bolt goes?

Dave Cole
Chris Coombs
Deerfield NH

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: '74 Catalina 22

Hull No. 2313

Hailing Port: Deerfield NH
10/22/2007 2:36 PM Pacific Time

Dave,
Thanks for responding. The worm hole is what I call the wearing of a long, snake-like hole worn in the cast iron keel where a clean round hole for the bronze pivot used to sit in. It looks like the boat has logged more hours trailering than sailing, because this "groove" extends from the original hole forward and up toward the top edge of the keel. It's too tight in there to get a good picture, but it is very clear to me that I need to set that new SS pivot sleeve into the cast iron to stop the growth of that hole to a point where the strength and integrity of the keel around the pivot hole is compromised.
My old trailer doesn't have a removable keel beam, so I am gonna have to lift her up on boat stands and slide the trailer out of the way.
Do you know of any one who has the CD video on how to do this? I don't mind buying it, but if it is already out there, hey, why not?
The video takes you through building a sled to remove the keel, and instructions on repair and maintenance before re-installing.
Appreciate your advice on the pivot bracket bolts. I will definitely do that. Her bottom must be encrusted with bottom paint, because I can barely make out the shape of the bolt heads. Have a thin-wall socket I can use to coax them out.
Don't expect to start this project until I have a sled built. Keep me posted on your progress, and I will do the same.
By the way, do you know the year of manufacture of your boat? My SN is 2313, and it is supposed to be a 1974 boat. Is that about right, or should I be looking further back?
Thanks a million!
Chris Coombs
Second Wind
Deerfield NH
[email protected]
Dave Cole
Middleboro, MA

Boat Name: Zephyr

Model/Year: 22' swing, 1973

Hull No. 2241

Hailing Port: Fairhaven, MA
10/23/2007 5:06 AM Pacific Time

Hi Chris,

I was also wondering if that groove was for the locking bolt, some keels have a grove built in them. There was another thread on this subject.

Check your HIN for the year built, the last two numbers would indicate the year.

I got my pin out last week and it looked perfect! I was expected it to be half worn. The hole in the keel looks pretty good too. It will give me a chance to clean and paint the area's I normally can't get too.

I don't have the video, but I have seen pictures of many sleds that people built while researching this boat. You can buy the DVD from Catalina direct, or look to see how other poeple have built them. There's a wealth of info on how to take care of these boats on the web, that's one of the reasons I opted for a cat 22.

It seems the activity on this site is diminishing because it is not sending out alerts of the new messages. I have also joined "catalinaowners.com" which is another great site.

Good luck!

Dave Cole

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Advice on Retractable Keel removal and repair?