Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Hull soft spot

Author Hull soft spot
Mike Trimble
Mayo, MD

Boat Name: Colleen II

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/30/2007 5:39 AM Pacific Time

All,

A few weeks ago, my boat took on quite a bit of water while temporarily in a slip at my marina. I normally keep in on a trailer, but I put in the water while our towing vehicle was unavailble for s few weeks. The reason it was taking on water was due to a cracked plastic thru-hull for the sink drain that has now been replaced with a bronze one.

I got most of the water out of the inside, hoping that was left would evaporate or not become an issue. Yesterday I noticed a large wet spot on the under-side of the hull, under the cockpit area. After pressing on various parts of it, I noticed a soft-spot approximately 6-8 inches in diameter. I have never noticed, nor really checked for, this soft spot before. I have not yet tried crawling through the access hole behind the step-cooler to check for cracks, holes, etc in that area inside.

Am I looking at potential rot in some layer of the hull in that section? Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions besides getting the whole thing properly dried out?
Mike Trimble
Arlington, VA

Boat Name: Colleen II

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1989

Hull No. CTYH4939A989

Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
10/27/2007 5:14 AM Pacific Time

All,

I'm re-posting this since it seems e-mail is back on-line with the discussion group:

A few weeks ago, my boat took on quite a bit of water while temporarily in a slip at my marina. I normally keep in on a trailer, but I put in the water while our towing vehicle was unavailble for s few weeks. The reason it was taking on water was due to a cracked plastic thru-hull for the sink drain that has now been replaced with a bronze one.

I got most of the water out of the inside, hoping that was left would evaporate or not become an issue. Yesterday I noticed a large wet spot on the under-side of the hull, under the cockpit area. After pressing on various parts of it, I noticed a soft-spot approximately 6-8 inches in diameter. I have never noticed, nor really checked for, this soft spot before. I have not yet tried crawling through the access hole behind the step-cooler to check for cracks, holes, etc in that area inside.

Am I looking at potential rot in some layer of the hull in that section? Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions besides getting the whole thing properly dried out?

Additional info: I talked with Catalina Yachts directly and they said that for an 1989 boat, which mine is, there is no wood incorporated in the hull ... it is all fiberglass.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
10/28/2007 10:10 AM Pacific Time

Mike, it's possible that you've developed a blister in the hull glass. You can get repair instuctions from many sources. West Marine has booklets by West systems and there may be archival info on this list. The important thing to know is that yo need to open the blister and let all the water drain out. Then you have to wait for a significant amount of time until the glass is completely dried out before initiating a repair. Some people recommend using a moisture meter with a probe into the glass. Look at the pros and cons of using epoxy or glass for the repair. The fact that your boat is trailered is probably why you haven't noticed this problem previously.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
10/28/2007 10:19 AM Pacific Time

Mike, I see that our hulls were close together in production. My hull has been very watertight but I have a wing keel. Do you have a swing keel and if so, is the problem near a stress point of the keel operation? If it is, you may need to deel with that issue also.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Hull soft spot