Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Towing Catalina 22 with Honda Pilot?

Author Towing Catalina 22 with Honda Pilot?
Jim
Southampton, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/26/2007 7:31 AM Pacific Time

Hello everyone -

I'm new to this board and, sadly, am not yet an owner of a Catalina 22. I am currently sailing a Hobie One 12 (like a Laser) but am looking to move up to a bigger boat on which my family can join me on the water. I'll most likely need to trailer sail, and I think that the Catalina will be my boat of choice.

That being said, can anyone tell me if they are currently pulling their boat around with a 2007 Honda Pilot and, if so, how it performs? This will have to be my tow vehicle but it's also brand new and our "good" family car. Honda puts towing capacity for the Pilot at 3500#. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Catalina weights in somewhere around 2500# + trailer.

Appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!
JIM

Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
10/26/2007 11:10 PM Pacific Time

Hi Jim,
When you find out about the Pilot and towing (I think it would be fine), FYI, I have a Cat22, '82 for sale ASAP!
Check out sailboatowners.com. It's the one slipped in Havre de Grace, MD.
Good luck!
LInda
Lanacaster, PA
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
10/26/2007 11:14 PM Pacific Time

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the forum.
As soon as you get your Pilot and towing situation resolved (I think the Pilot would be ok to tow the Cat22), FYI, my beloved boat is for sale.
Check out sailboatowners.com for info.
Good Luck!
LJH
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
10/27/2007 5:01 AM Pacific Time

I havew a Pilot and there is no problem pulling a C22. However, if you read the small print, you need to have an additional transmission fliud cooler in order to meet warrenty specs.

Kent

Jim
Southampton, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/27/2007 8:23 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the replies, Linda and Kent. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like the Pilot is up to the task of pulling a 22. And the point about the tranny cooler is an excellent thought... I'll definitely look into that. I also have a 6 cyl Jeep Cherokee that I'd been trying to sell, but I may now hold on to with the intention of using that as a dedicated tow vehicle. We'll see.

Linda, I checked out your listing. Beautiful boat. I'm not that far from you but, unfortunately, it's a far nicer boat than I can afford right now. Wife's not yet on board (no pun intended) so the plan is to sell my One12 and a pop-up camper and then try to come up with the difference in cash. So, I've got some work ahead of me and am probably facing somewhat of a project boat to find something in my price range.

If you happen to hear of anything in the area, I'd greatly appreicate the tip. Thanks again.
JIM
Steve Ott
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Boat Name: Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 6798

Hailing Port: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
01/30/2008 2:09 PM Pacific Time

Jim, I am about to pull my 1977 C22 swing keel from Florida to Canada with my '91 Jeep Cherokee, 6cyl, 4.0L 5 speed, 190 hp. I will let everyone know in a couple of weeks how it went. The weight of the C22 is 2250# dry. Then a trailer could be up to 1000# if a big tandem like mine. I just bought a weight distribution hitch for the trip as it was highly recommended and if you read the Pilot small print they might insist for one also. Steve.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Towing Catalina 22 with Honda Pilot?