Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New C22 winged keel owner - few questions

Author New C22 winged keel owner - few questions
Bajaman
Hemet, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1990 Wing

Hull No. 15155

Hailing Port: San Diego/Los Angeles, CA
10/28/2007 9:04 AM Pacific Time

Hello All--
Picked my new to me 1990 C22 winged keel. It has the original white Trail Rite trailer. I have a few questions to help get me familiarized with the boat. I am sure there will be many more questions as I learn more about the boat. I appreciate the advice/tips given. I have owned many boats and was alwaya interested in a C22. All of my sailing is trailer sailing - I trailer to all sailing locales in So. Cal. (San Diego Bay, local lake, Catalina Island, etc.).

1. Mast raising - I would like to be able to do it single handed. (I do have an extendable transom-mounted mast trailering support. It extends up when preparing to raise mast). What is prefered and safest method? I have seen a system on a Santana 2023 and it was very simple design (gin pole attached at base of mast, a line on each side of mast about 7 feet up from base that attached to deck (for stabilizing).

2. Trailer - I noticed that trailer beams in center are very close to ground, as keel sits on a plate. Is this low sitting of trailer beams correct? Any issues to be aware of with this? I am sure one needs to be careful when entering/exiting driveways with good size "dips" in them. Any trailer mods to improve trailer or is it pretty good from factory?

3. Launching/retrieving guidelines - do's and don'ts, tips, etc

4. Outboard recs - I need a 4 stroke (4-5-6 hp ?) Long shaft or Extra Long shaft?

5. Any other info that would assist me in getting started with this boat and preparing for launch?

Thanks,
Carlos
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
10/29/2007 3:27 AM Pacific Time

Hello Carlos,
I have a '89 wing keel catalina 22, and I love it, and I'm sure that you will find that's it's a great boat as well. As far as the mast raising, my setup is the same as the the Santana's. A gin pole. I have yet to make the side supports, but when I do, I'll model them after Ken Brown's system. I raise and lower the mast only twice a year, and the gin pole that I've made works great. I will be posting photos of my new and improved gin pole on my blog site; www.cjandeai.blogspot.com very soon, please check it out, there might be some other things there to help you out.
As far as trailer, I'm unfamilier with the Trail Rite's, but on my Triad Trailer, it does sit somewhat low, and has not been an issue.
Launching, just don't drive off the end of the ramp, and make sure your car/truck is in park, with the brake on. On my trailer, the keel guides work well to center the boat on the trailer. My only issue to date, was on this past haulout on Labor Day. The water level was way down, and I had to use the extension. We had just enough water to float the boat on, but when I winched the boat up, not knowing, the keel was off center a bit, and got hung up on the keel guide. I didn't realize it until it was to late, and after the boat was out. It took a payloader to move the boat 4" to get past the guide. It had to be done that way, due to the water level, I just could not re-float her.
The outboard. I have a Honda 8hp, 4 stroke, non-electric start, long shaft. It's a great motor, but maybe a 6hp would of have been better as far as the weight goes.
Carlos, I hope this help you a little, Jay
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
10/29/2007 9:04 AM Pacific Time

I also have an '89 wing keel and really love it. I used to have an older swing keel model that was very problematic. The wing is no trouble at all. It does sit higher on my trailer than the swing. The keel needs to have a positive pressure on the center step of the trailer so that it doesn't bounce around putting stress on the hull when driving. I use the mast raising system sold by CD in conjunction with the "Mast-Up" also sold by CD. Sounds like you already have the "mast-Up" in place. This combination is a breeze to use but must be installed precisely. It is also very easy to store. The only draw back is the price. I always use my trailer extension but my trailer is a tandem with 13" wheels. I have also missed the guide and had to refloat
Greg Rohde
Placerville, California

Boat Name: I sold it

Model/Year: 75'

Hull No. 4640

Hailing Port: New home in Medford, Oregon
10/29/2007 9:09 AM Pacific Time

Carlos,
As for raising the mast..I stradle it with the hatch closed and just pull it up as many others do. Then have my crew pin the forestay.
I have a 75' Trail Rite. It does sit low and you should watch out, but I've had no problems and it tows great with my Durango. Replace the wheel bearings though.
I use an Evinrude 6hp 2 stroke long shaft. It's a bit heavy for racing..but pushes the boat nice.
You might check out http://www.chipford.com/ and the Discussion list for great info. David has a nice forum as well at http://www.c22region10.org/bb/

Regards, Greg
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
10/29/2007 9:20 AM Pacific Time

PS: I have a 6 HP Yamaha 2-stroke that has worked great..
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
10/29/2007 7:16 PM Pacific Time

I have a 89 wing keel, and use the mastup as well. Here's a setup I got from Rich Fox (C-22 commodore).

Rich mounted a cam cleat to the trailer frame above the winch. He attaches a line to the jib halyard, through the cam and back to the mast. Once he gets the mastup raised, he straddles the mast and lifts it up. He can hold the mast at any position just by tensioning the halyard line through the cam.

I have some vertical boat guides that fasten to the trailer frame. They help get the boat centered on the trailer first time with no problems.

My trailer sits low too, but I've had no problems towing. The low trailer actually helps with launching and retrieving.
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
10/29/2007 7:17 PM Pacific Time

I have a honda 5 hp 4 stroke engine with a long shaft. No problems pushing the boat at hull speed.
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
10/30/2007 6:00 AM Pacific Time

As one who also trailers to different sailing locations, I would be interested in knowing how to get on the road to Catalina? Ron
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
10/30/2007 6:11 AM Pacific Time

One trick that I use to raise the mast on Toujours ete, my swing keel C22, is to park the rig facing down hill. Once the mast goes past vertical it will fall forward onto the back stay and rear lowers making it easier to grab the forestay and secure it to the bow.
Bajaman
Hemet, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1990 Wing

Hull No. 15155

Hailing Port: San Diego/Los Angeles, CA
10/30/2007 9:38 PM Pacific Time

Who is Ken Brown and what mast raising system has he created/designed? I'd like to know more about it.
Thanks
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
11/01/2007 3:50 AM Pacific Time

Carlos, Ken's link to his A-Frame slider for mast raising is; http://homepage.mac.com/kbrown/PhotoAlbum11.html Also you can go to Chip Fords site; www.chipford.com and search the links there, it's a great site,. Also www.c22pdx.org is great, with great tech info, such as mast raising. Jay

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New C22 winged keel owner - few questions