Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Flat Tire :-(

Author Flat Tire :-(
Billy Fender
Lexington, SC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22, 1981

Hull No. 10081

Hailing Port: Lake Murray, Columbia, SC
11/13/2007 4:41 PM Pacific Time

Where is the best place to locate jack to lift for flat tire? How big a jack would be needed? I tried a 1.5 ton Screw Jack to the axle shaft, and got no lift!!

thx
billy
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
11/14/2007 5:14 AM Pacific Time

Hey Billy,

I used my truck jack in the case I needed to jack up my trailer. It is short enough that you can put it under the spring where it is clamped to the axle. It lifted the trailer just fine. I have a tandem axle trailer though so it didn't sag as much as a single axle. Another alternative is a scissors jack. They are effective, provide a good range of lift and are really flat when compressed. They are also relatively inexpensive.

Greg
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
11/14/2007 7:22 AM Pacific Time

Billy, i have had a bottle jack,sissor jack and a small hydrolic floor jack. the bottle would not fit under the axle with a flat tire and would not lift high enough for the frame. Next the sissor jack (new) was a pain to use as it kept rolling over and locked in the up position so I had to pull the trailer off of it. Next I went to the small hydrolic floor with a piece of plywood under it so it could roll as it is raised.
It works fine, I place it under the axle spring plate so it only takes a few pumps to
raise the tire up. I bought 1 for each of my vehicles an threw out the original sissor jacks.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
11/14/2007 7:36 AM Pacific Time

I use a small hydraulic floor jack also. It works great. The handle breaks down so the whole thing fits in a reasonably small box for travelling. It cost abot $40 at NAPA auto parts.
Billy Fender
Lexington, SC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22, 1981

Hull No. 10081

Hailing Port: Lake Murray, Columbia, SC
11/14/2007 10:44 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, guys. By the way, how heavy of a jack did you get (capacity)?

billy
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
11/14/2007 5:58 PM Pacific Time

I would use a minimum 1.5 ton jack as the total load is approx. 5000+ pounds and lifting one side would carry half the load. Better to have a little margin of safety built in.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/15/2007 5:48 AM Pacific Time

Ithink that is a bit overboard, the boat only weighs 2500, and the trailer no more that a 1000, so almost any jack that will fit under the axle when the tire is flat will do. Your car jack is quite adequate and easiest to use.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
11/16/2007 2:58 AM Pacific Time

Those little floor jacks from the auto parts stores sure are handy! Get the little one that is easy to lift, store and move around. I paid about $25 for the last one I bought from Pep Boys. I see Nothern Tool has one for $20.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200305235_200305235

Be advised that the lug nuts may not be the same size as those on your tow vehicle. They may be SAE, or Metric. I have two of those 4-way lug nut tools - one for my truck, one for my trailer.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Flat Tire :-(