Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Jib halyard max weight

Author Jib halyard max weight
Alan Chillers
Cocoa Beach

Boat Name: Lo" Key

Model/Year: 22 catalina/1984

Hull No. 12227

Hailing Port: Space Coast
11/29/2007 9:42 PM Pacific Time

What is the max weight the jib haylard on my 84 cat can handle, I have factory
rigging, I would like to put a harness on and be wenched up to top of mask?
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
11/30/2007 3:30 AM Pacific Time

As long as the halyard is fairly new it should hold. I could tell a funny story but it would take too long. But why would you not just drop the mast to do whatever you need to do. It can be done in about 10 minutes.
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
11/30/2007 3:36 AM Pacific Time

Alan, I just realized you live in Cocoa. The Florida Travel Series will be there next weekend. If you are not comfortable/don't have experience dropping your mast how about stopping by Lee Winter Park Friday afternoon or Sat. morning to watch everybody step their masts. Or Sun.afternoon and see a bunch of c22s drop their masts. That's the weekend of the 8th and 9th. Better still, come and race with us. It is the Florida State Championships and will be a hoot.
Alan Chillers
Cocoa Beach

Hull No. 12227

11/30/2007 9:11 AM Pacific Time

Thanks , I would like to go long as I am in town that weekend.
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
11/30/2007 11:29 AM Pacific Time

I would drop the mast, there is realy not enough ballast in the keel to keep from tipping over at the top of the mast. Be sure that you have the keel down. a guy at my marina went up the mast of his C22 and ended up on the deck of a boat 2 slips away when went over. be careful.
Alan Chillers
Cocoa Beach

Hull No. 12227

12/01/2007 10:18 PM Pacific Time

Wow, didnt think of that, any good set of pics anywhere on the net of raising the mask, I have only done it once and it was all new to me, I kept it in the water all the time. Thanks for all the response, Alan.........

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Jib halyard max weight