Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rub Rail

Author Rub Rail
Jan Dalichow
Sebastian, FL

Boat Name: Sunny Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1971

Hull No. 851

Hailing Port: Sebastian Fl
12/11/2007 3:27 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone replaced their narrow rubrail, with any other than the CD one? Are there any other aftermarket ones that fit into the original? Does Taco make a replacement that fits, any input would be great, thanks
Jan
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
12/11/2007 4:23 PM Pacific Time

Jan, Our previous owners applied a high quality vinal (sp) stripeing tape available at instant sign shops, to our rub rails, It's been on 3 years now and still looks great! They used bright red, adds just a touch of color that accents the blue boot stripes. Her picture is on the Catalinaowners.com site, check it out.
Stan & Sal
Jan Dalichow
Sebastian, FL

Boat Name: Sunny Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1971

Hull No. 851

Hailing Port: Sebastian Fl
12/12/2007 5:51 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, i just need the vinyl insert to the narrow rub rail, and i would be become a very happy person.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
12/12/2007 11:27 PM Pacific Time

That vinyl tape is a really, really neat idea. Thanks!
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
12/13/2007 9:05 AM Pacific Time

Jan,

I have a 1970 C22 and i just replaced the vinyl insert in the aluminum rail with a vinyl strip that I got from West Marine. My old one was literally falling apart and so brittle that it came out in pieces. The new one was easy to install and looks great.

Greg
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
12/13/2007 11:36 AM Pacific Time

The tape is a great idea. I was going to use vinyl paint...but the tape would be much easier and with no over spray to deal with.

Great idea !

Does anyone have a section of the new style aluminum they would like to sell ? I have an 87 model and it is wider than the older style.

wbellcyber at netscape.net
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

12/14/2007 5:49 AM Pacific Time

I am not really clear on the vinyl tape idea. On my boat the aluminum part of the rub rail covers the joint between the hull and upper deck and is an integral part of the boat. It also serves a very real function in docking under certain conditions of protecting the boat from damage when you rub against pilings for example. I recently took a series of Off Shore sailing classes and the instructor encouraged us to use the rub rail when docking. I guess I don't know enough about the newer boats and how they are set up but I wouldn't give up that particular utilitarian equipment for decorative tape.

Greg
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
12/14/2007 6:19 AM Pacific Time

Greg, the tape is a decorative stripe somewhat below the rub rail, usually running the length of the boat.
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
12/14/2007 7:41 AM Pacific Time

Greg, Peter, Let me explain, the tape is covering the old faded soft insert of the rubrail. Yes, if you use your rubrails when docking, it would be damaged, it is tougher than you would think, the beauty is a small section of the tape can be removed and replaced with ease. Buy the tape slightly wider than the soft insert is, when installing line up the top of the tape with top edge of the insert, rub it on with a soft cloth. Then go back and trim the excess along the bottom edge of the insert , done deal!
Stan
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
12/14/2007 8:20 AM Pacific Time

Stan, thank you for that detailed explaination. I did have the wrong understanding of what was being discussed.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/15/2007 6:21 AM Pacific Time

It seems to me that if the rub rail is leaking it would be from above and/or below the aluminum part. I am wondering if instead of starting the tape on the aluminum, if the tape were wide enough to be placed a 1/2" or so above then carefully pressed into the groove or corner before wrapping around the vinyl and allowed to cover below in a similar manner. I would think that might be a better way to stop leaks in that area. We found on 501 that water was coming in when the rail was down, at the time I went to a great deal of trouble to force epoxy into the crack. This might be easier. For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

12/15/2007 6:58 AM Pacific Time

Stan,

Thank you very much for clarifying the tape issue. Depending on the condition of the vinyl part of the rub rail I think it would be a great way to change the color of that stripe. My boat was 33 years old when I stripped it and painted it and the vinyl rub rail had missing pieces and was litterally crumbling. It was not a difficult task to replace that part and it seems to me that the effort would be worth the results. I removed the aluminun part completely and while it was off, I took a die grinder with a polishing pad and cleaned it up as well.

It seems to me that we spend more time working on the boats than we do sailing them. ; )

Greg

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rub Rail