Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars /  Rigging a stays'l stay

Author Rigging a stays'l stay
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
01/05/2008 3:54 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone successfully rigged a stays'l stay? I'm thinking about rigging one from the masthead to a point about 2 ft. aft of the headstay. It would be anchored to a cleat at that point and stowed at the base of the mast. It would be used to fly the storm jib with two reefs in the main. It would improve the storm jib's sheeting angles while bringing the center of effort closer to the mast. Any experience out there with such a set up? Comments, suggestions?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/06/2008 8:27 AM Pacific Time

If you are going to rig a stay-sail stay I think it would better to rig it from the a point half way back toward the mast and parallel to the headstay which would put it on the mast at about half way also. If it is for high winds I think it is easier to drop the mainsail and sail on the 110, if reefing the main is not enough reduction in sail area. I have sailed on a 30' home built that did not have life lines on it yet that no one wanted to go forward to take the genny down so we just dropped the main, amazing how well it handled.
For what it's worth.
Al Ge
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
01/07/2008 12:05 AM Pacific Time

I'm with Al on this one. If there's really enough breeze to need a small sail, your cleat in the middle of the fore deck would need serious structure behind it. The stem is a really strong point because it's at a corner.

Do you really need this kind of gear for the sailing you do? Folks sail these boats in all kinds of weather all over the world.

If you put the same amount of time and money into a good roller furler and maybe a new sail to go with it, you would be set for strong wind, and also set for the lighter breezes, when you can roll it out and have maybe a 120 or 150.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/07/2008 8:24 AM Pacific Time

I agree with the thought that a second stay would need to be tied into something more substantial than the deck. In other boats (not C-22s) that I have seen owners do this, the deck attachment point (cleat) has been tied into the hull on the centerline through wires, a turnbuckle, and pad eyes.

In addition, we have sailed with the storm jib and reefed main a number of times in winds 25 and more and never found a problem with sheeting angles. The boom must be out over the aft quarter for the main to work because the storm jib will not turn the wind around the back of the main like a regular jib/genny.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Quixotic, 7555 on the Chesapeake

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars /  Rigging a stays'l stay