Clubhouse Business

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Clubhouse Business / Clubhouse Business / Stripping Bottom Paint, Questions Re: Swing Keel Cat 25

Author Stripping Bottom Paint, Questions Re: Swing Keel Cat 25
Stephen Moore
Galesburg, Illinois

Boat Name: Old Disco Queen

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 25

Hull No. 3559

Hailing Port: Peoria, Illinois River
01/12/2008 6:07 PM Pacific Time

I am a new proud owner of a 1984 Catalina 25 (just purchased...not re-named yet nor do I know the proper hull # - boat under the tarp under the snow) by the barn)

I was hoping to be able to "strip" the bottom, and re-paint? Have read the previous entries and am a little confused about what I should do. I would rather not sand...with the fear that I will sand toooo much! It appears that the bottom has a "copper" looking paint on it (not re-done for many years). I hope I don't find those nasty "bubbles" eveyone is refering to under the paint.

I also have the need for a new rudder...oh my god...the price! Should you get the plastic ones that are advertised in CD or the old fashioned one?

I also am wondering if I need to "replace" any items which attaches the wire to the swing keel annually?

And by the way, does anyone know how many "cranks" it takes to lower the keel fully on a 25' ?

(Seems like there are lots of "gaps" in the owners manuels)

I also have a trailer that has a "break-away" system feature on the tongue. Traveling home with it was a big surprise....the tongue "pulled out" about 10" (from Where???) I had previously believed it was a regular solid tongue (like other trailers)...anyone ever heard of such a thing? When you make a quick "stop" the tongue slides in and out (makes be nervous!!!)

I am going to attend the Sail Only Show in Chicago in 3 weeks and hope to get lots of info then. Most of the boat places here in peoria are strickly motor boat, although lots and lots of catalina's are in the water...where do they meet? some of the owners have been more than snooty and stand-off-ish to use a nice term...hummm

Looking for great sailing on the Illinois River (previously had a 14.2 Catalina for 24 yrs...trying to the get the "lubber" out of me...witth this bigger boat.)

Stephen
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
01/12/2008 9:32 PM Pacific Time

I am a new proud owner of a 1984 Catalina 25 (just purchased...not re-named yet nor do I know the proper hull # - boat under the tarp under the snow) by the barn)
Congratulations, they are good boats!

I was hoping to be able to "strip" the bottom, and re-paint? Have read the previous entries and am a little confused about what I should do. I would rather not sand...with the fear that I will sand toooo much! It appears that the bottom has a "copper" looking paint on it (not re-done for many years). I hope I don't find those nasty "bubbles" eveyone is refering to under the paint.

Copper looking paint is most likely VC-17, to recoat just clean well with soap and water, rinse well, let dry and roll on a new coat, use a 6" very short nap roller and tray, small amount in tray at a time as it evaporates very fast, good paint for fresh water IMHO.

I also have the need for a new rudder...oh my god...the price! Should you get the plastic ones that are advertised in CD or the old fashioned one?

Don't know about these.

I also am wondering if I need to "replace" any items which attaches the wire to the swing keel annually?

Cheap insurance to replace cable and shackle every few years, start now with a new one.

And by the way, does anyone know how many "cranks" it takes to lower the keel fully on a 25' ?

The cable will go slack when keel is fully down.

(Seems like there are lots of "gaps" in the owners manuels)

I also have a trailer that has a "break-away" system feature on the tongue. Traveling home with it was a big surprise....the tongue "pulled out" about 10" (from Where???) I had previously believed it was a regular solid tongue (like other trailers)...anyone ever heard of such a thing? When you make a quick "stop" the tongue slides in and out (makes be nervous!!!)

Must be an extending tounge, it should have a pin going through it to lock it in place, but very handy for launching, it should extend several feet.

I am going to attend the Sail Only Show in Chicago in 3 weeks and hope to get lots of info then. Most of the boat places here in peoria are strickly motor boat, although lots and lots of catalina's are in the water...where do they meet? some of the owners have been more than snooty and stand-off-ish to use a nice term...hummm

Looking for great sailing on the Illinois River (previously had a 14.2 Catalina for 24 yrs...trying to the get the "lubber" out of me...witth this bigger boat.)
Alan Chillers
Cocoa Beach

Boat Name: Lo" Key

Model/Year: 22 catalina/1984

Hull No. 12227

Hailing Port: Space Coast
01/13/2008 9:56 AM Pacific Time

you probly have a trailer with a extendable toung, look for a hole where a pin would go in to keep it from moving
Russ Wahlers
Muncie, IN

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22 1988

Hull No. 14410

Hailing Port: Muncie Sailing Club
01/13/2008 3:46 PM Pacific Time

Steve,

Regarding stripping bottom paint, Pettit has a product called BioBlast that might be of interest if you want to remove all bottom paint. There's a video podcast demo of Pettit BioBlast on Power & Motor Yacht TV's website. If you go to that website, click the videos link on left side of screen, and scroll down the list ..... you'll see a video on stripping the hull or something similar. Can't recall exactly title. Very good video. Good luck.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
01/14/2008 12:16 PM Pacific Time

Stripping copper paint is an extreamly messy, dirty and time consuming job. Having stripped years worth of blue paint off of hull #8070, I can tell you that it is a job worth avoiding at all costs. In looking for a faster way to get it done (while trying to keep from contaminating my yard with copper paint), I tried several methods and materials.
I started out using Interlux Interstrip which is made for the purpose. It worked fairly well at getting the paint off but it was noxious, irritating, and it gave me a headache (even with proper PPE). It was also expensive at about $30.00 per quart. I found that I had to watch how long I left in on or else it would lift off a thin layre of gelcoat with the paint. I found that in some areas, the paint came off in clean strips but in spots, I could not get the paint to come off no matter how many applications of the stuff or how long it was left on. Those areas I had to wet sand using a sanding block and 220 paper.
I found that wet sanding the paint off gave the best result in terms of how the underlying gelcoat looked after I was done but it took forever to do even a small area. But I found that wet sanding was the only thing that would get those small patches that were left behind by the paint stripper.
As for dry sanding, the biggest problem is the sanding dust that gets everywhere and covers everything. A palm sander works for this. It is not so aggressive that you have to worry about sanding through the gelcoat. But as for the cloud of toxic dust that envelopes you as you sand.... I don't recomend it.
What I ended up using for most of the project is Citristrip stripping gel which is found at the local hardware store for about $12.00 a quart. It worked almost as well at the Interlux, has a pleasant smell, and while it was irritating to the skin, it didn't burn for hours after I washed it off. I found that it was less damaging to the gelcoat. Even when I left it on overnight al it would do is dry out and a second application would remove the paint with no damage to the gelcoat. It also left the patches that needed wet sanding. I would recomend trying the Citristrip on several small sections to see how well it lifts the particular paint you have on your hull.
Another suggestion would be to get yourself a pnumatic sander (one that is waterproof), a very large air compressor (8-12 scfm), lots of sand paper and a garden hose. Don't ever use an electric sander for wet sanding (duh, but it has to be said in todays society). I think this ultimatly would be the fastest and easiest way to get it done. Its also a great excuse to buy a really big air compressor.
Good luck.
Richard
Tampa, FL

Boat Name: Whispering Lady

Model/Year: C22 / 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Tampa, FL
01/14/2008 12:49 PM Pacific Time

I used heavy duty oven cleaner to remove the bottom paint on my C22. Messy but does a great job. Spray on and apply a layer of plastic bag to keep it from drying out. Let it sit for a few hours and the old paint will scrape / pull right off.

Clubhouse Business
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Clubhouse Business / Clubhouse Business / Stripping Bottom Paint, Questions Re: Swing Keel Cat 25